Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ssd installation issues

I just installed an sad from OWC, used their install kit and followed their video to the letter

started up, got the chime, then black screen with cooling fan running full out

any suggestions?

thanks

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 6:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 7:37 PM

Are you sure you got the cables fully and snugly connected? I did that a couple of years ago without a problem (edit: on a Macbook Pro). I'd suggest you also contact OWC support/customer service.

Edit: which iMac model is it? There are some with separate cooling fan attachments. Check ifixit.com for instructions for your model.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2015 7:37 PM in response to desertskiesrigging

Are you sure you got the cables fully and snugly connected? I did that a couple of years ago without a problem (edit: on a Macbook Pro). I'd suggest you also contact OWC support/customer service.

Edit: which iMac model is it? There are some with separate cooling fan attachments. Check ifixit.com for instructions for your model.

Jul 28, 2015 7:33 AM in response to desertskiesrigging

Both good suggestions I will follow up on:

couple clarifications:

it was an SSD from OWC I installed, not an sad (ironic) into a mid 2011 21" imac

Prior to the install I cloned my HDD using super duper with the SSD in an enclosure and set the SSD to be the boot disk. After this I tested it by restarting, holding option, chose the SSD and all worked fine. So, as far as I know the SSD was properly formatted etc.

I found the procedure pretty challenging, had previously done SSD upgrades on two older MBPs with no problems.

there were a few snags along the way I should detail, someone might have some input:

1. while reconnecting all the connections I found the wires pulled out of the connected on one of the smallest ones. Very small connector, two wires. I found the connector and managed to get the wires back into it and re-attached. I do not know what the connection is but will review the install procedure video to try to narrow that down. I have no way of knowing if I put the wires back in right, if they are side specific etc. The wires were black and gray if that matters.

I've since reviewed the video, the connection in question is removed at 07:15 in the video during the removal of the logic board. Again, I have no idea what the connection is for.

below is a link for the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOf0svk5FdY

2. while prepping the SSD for install into the iMad, I might have inadvertently touched the gold connectors that attach to the power and sata cables. Don't know if this is an issue but I know that when upgrading RAM it is specified not to touch the gold connectors.

3. At no time in the procedural video did I remove the old HDD. So, I assume it is still in there and connected. During my two MBP upgrades that was part of the procedure.

4. One of the last connections to re-attach is the display cable, one of the larger (wider) cables, also one of the more difficult to re-attach. I had a lot of difficulty with this one. It appeared to be re-attached correctly prior to closing up but again, cannot be certain.

Again, the end result is powering up, I hear the chime but nothing but a black screen and then a cooling fan comes on and just runs. It is in the lower left part of the machine so I assume it is the heat sink fan, not the optical drive fan which is in the lower right of the machine and is actually removed briefly during the process.

thanks

Jul 28, 2015 12:16 PM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

Understood - but what happens with the regular hard drive if you have a second one installed? Wouldn't or shouldn't that be available to boot from?

On my system I have a 256GB SSD and the 1TB HD. I use the SSD for the startup drive where all the apps and key files that I use daily reside. I use the 1TB internal HD for storage of my photo library. When I shoot photos I shoot in raw which I store on the internal HD drive. I was using Aperture but have converted to Photos so I store both of those libraries on the internal HD. Finally I just recently bought Adobe Elements for it's Panorama creation features which neither Photos or Aperture do. I also have several external HD's,

2 for backups (1 bootable clone the other a TM drive) and I keep my movie collection on another and my music collection on still another. Everything is set up so it has redundant backups.

Jul 28, 2015 2:34 PM in response to babowa

System Prefrences - Startup Disk and select the SSD. That's all I did. When I initially got my SSD I put it in an enclosure, formatted and partitioned as GUID and then I put it in the computer. Next I restarted from my clone, restored the clone to the SSD and while I was still on the clone after the restore was done did the system preference. Then I restarted normally and boom l was done. It was really pretty simple.

Jul 28, 2015 6:44 PM in response to rkaufmann87

So ok, even though I was pretty sure I properly formatted the ssd prior to cloning, then cloned, then checked prior to installation, there might be a problem there and it is not unusual to leave the HDD in the machine during the sad install.

Sounds like I need to start all over, remove the sad, check all my connections while doing so, put the sad back into the enclosure and check it using my MBP. Assuming it works and is properly formatted that I assume would mean the issue is elsewhere, probably a hardware or connection issue that occurred during the initial sad install.

Sound about right?

thanks for the input

Jul 28, 2015 7:23 PM in response to desertskiesrigging

ok, so interesting update

I re-opened the imac and found the display cable was not connected. That was one of the last reconnections and was one of the hardest/trickiest to reconnect. I also noticed that I may not have had one of my ram chips properly / fully inserted. Fixed those issues, closed back up and booted up fine. I still need to confirm I am booting from the ssd since I now know that I have two drives in here, the old HDD and the new SSD, but at least the machine now works.

However - there's always one of those.

Just like yesterday, the cooling fan has come on immediately after boot up and is running full out

any ideas on that one. I did have one small two wire connection have the wires come out of the connector yesterday. I found the connector, stuck the wires into it and reconnected. I have no idea what the connection is for, I just know that now even though the imac is running fine the cooling fan located in the lower left of the machine, I assume the heat sink, is going crazy.

So, before I start reopening and messing with wires, anybody got any ideas?

Finally

for anyone considering doing this yourself, a couple things I learned the hard way.

1. dont trust the suction cups sent with the tool kit from owc, one did not work at all, the other so so. I had a large one I had already purchased from a hardware store that saved the day.

2. DO NOT remove any connections by pulling them out by the wires even though they show that at certain points in the OWC procedural video. Use tweezers or very small hemostats.

3. I recommend a good pair of reading glasses or a magnifying glass for some of the smaller connections. I have a couple desk lamps with integrated magnifying glass I use in my shop but did not think to bring one home for this and wished I had

This was tricky but doable - I am still having issues with the cooling fan going nuts

ssd installation issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.