Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant Help - Photos

After 4 attempts and 7 days (I kept getting the dreaded "1 minute left" message"), I was finally able to transfer my photos library to my new mac with a thunderbolt cable.

The photos are all there (all 90,000 of them I hope).

When I look at the storage display, all of the data is under the blue "Other" section, and not the pink "Photo" section.

What does that mean, and is it something I should be concerned about?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 4:14 PM

16 replies

Jul 27, 2015 8:18 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you for your reply. I did all the above, and no luck... I dragged the entire hard drive, and after the indexing (I did it twice), it is still blue and in the "Other" section.

Does it matter if I transferred the files originally from iPhoto? In the pictures folder there is and iPhoto Library with 402 GB and a Photo Library with 389 GB, although there is really only ~ 400 GB of photos....

Any other suggestions?

Thank you again!

Jul 27, 2015 8:45 PM in response to ssohmer

Step 1

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

syslog -F '$Time $Message' -k Sender mdworker -o -k Message Rne Norm -k Sender mds | tail | pbcopy

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting.

The command may take a noticeable amount of time to run. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear.

The output of the command will be automatically copied to the Clipboard. If the command produced no output, the Clipboard will be empty. Paste into a reply to this message.

The Terminal window doesn't show the output. Please don't copy anything from there.

If any personal information appears in the output, anonymize before posting, but don’t remove the context.

Step 2

Enter the following command as in Step 1 and post the output:

mdutil -as 2>&- | pbcopy

You can then quit Terminal.

Step 3

Launch the Console application in the same way you launched Terminal. In the Console window, look under the heading DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION on the left for crash reports related to Spotlight. If you don't see that heading, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar. A Spotlight crash report has a name beginning in "mds," "mdworker," or "mdwrite," and ending in ".crash". Select the most recent such report, if any, from the System and User subcategories and post the entire contents—the text, please, not a screenshot. In the interest of privacy, I suggest that, before posting, you edit out the “Anonymous UUID,” a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes in the header of the report, if it’s present (it may not be.)

Please don’t post any other kind of diagnostic report, such as hang logs—they're very long and not helpful.

Jul 27, 2015 10:50 PM in response to Linc Davis

Jul 26 20:22:57 (ImportBailout.Error:1325) Asked to exit for Diskarb

Jul 26 20:22:57 (ImportBailout.Error:1325) Asked to exit for Diskarb

Jul 26 23:40:00 (Server.Warning:445) No stores registered for metascope "kMDQueryScopeComputer"

Jul 27 00:20:46 (Queue.Error:706) [initWithVSD journals.migration_secondchance:0x7fc6fbd38380] ERROR! serial#/ret mismatch impliedRetirement:80574 serialNumberPush:81973 lastRetired:83980

Jul 27 00:21:14 (DiskStore.Error:1417) Unexpected file dev:738197506 storeDev:16777217 mode:416d hint:440943 oid:440943 ino:5 fsEvents:0 /home -- /home

Jul 27 00:21:14 (DiskStore.Error:1417) Unexpected file dev:738197505 storeDev:16777217 mode:416d hint:440942 oid:440942 ino:3 fsEvents:0 /net -- /net

Jul 27 07:21:47 (ImportBailout.Error:1325) Asked to exit for Diskarb

Jul 27 07:22:19 (ImportBailout.Error:1325) Asked to exit for Diskarb

Jul 27 07:25:35 (Queue.Error:706) [initWithVSD journals.migration_secondchance:0x7fce8051b490] ERROR! serial#/ret mismatch impliedRetirement:96321 serialNumberPush:96820 lastRetired:98211

Jul 27 15:29:56 (Queue.Error:706) [initWithVSD journals.migration_secondchance:0x7f916b4581a0] ERROR! serial#/ret mismatch impliedRetirement:96321 serialNumberPush:96820 lastRetired:98211

step 2:

/:

Indexing enabled.

step 3:

2015-07-27 7:54:03.412 PM mds[54]: getgrouplist called triggering group enumeration

com.apple.message.value: 16

com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.system.libinfo

com.apple.message.result: noop

com.apple.message.signature: getgrouplist

thanks!

Jul 28, 2015 5:29 AM in response to ssohmer

Back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/.Spotlight-V100

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Open

from the contextual menu. A folder should open with a subfolder named ".Spotlight-V100" selected. Move the subfolder to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator login password.

Restart the computer in safe mode. Certain caches maintained by the system will be rebuilt.

Safe mode is much slower to start up than normal. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

When the login screen appears, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and test. There's no need to log in while in safe mode.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t start in safe mode. In that case, ask for instructions.

You can't see the folder in the Trash because it's invisible. The next time you empty the Trash, it should be deleted.

Jul 29, 2015 6:40 AM in response to ssohmer

Select the text on the line below by dragging across it. Don't include the blank space at the end of the line. Only the text should be highlighted.

ls -@Odeln

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the Terminal application again.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing command-V, then press the space bar.

Now switch to the Finder and and select the grayed-out items. Drag into the Terminal window. More text will be added to what you entered.

Click in the Terminal window to activate it, then press return.

Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear. Post any lines that appear below that line—the text, please, not a screenshot. You can then quit Terminal.

Jul 29, 2015 7:53 AM in response to Linc Davis

X-iMac:~ X$ ls -@Odeln /Users/X/Pictures/iPhoto\ Library.migratedphotolibrary /Users/X/Pictures/Photos\ Library.photoslibrary

drwxr-xr-x@ 22 501 20 - 748 28 Jul 23:40 /Users/X/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary

com.apple.FinderInfo 32

com.apple.quarantine 55

drwxrwxrwx@ 25 501 20 - 850 12 Jul 02:09 /Users/X/Pictures/iPhoto Library.migratedphotolibrary

com.apple.FinderInfo 32

com.apple.quarantine 55

X-iMac:~ XX$

Jul 31, 2015 11:26 AM in response to Linc Davis

I gave up. I wiped the hard drive. Instead of using Migration "Assistant", I just transferred the photos folder directly over a network connection with a thunderbolt cable. It is all fine now.

Thank you for all of your help.

My one last question - I only transferred the Photos folder, and not the iPhotos Folder - is that okay? I had recently upgraded the operating system and it made the transfer from iPhotos to Photos but left 2 folders there.

Thanks again,

Migration Assistant Help - Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.