Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid-2012 15" Retina blank screen when booting from USB

I am trying to create a Yosemite bootable USB for a mid-2012 15" MacBook Pro Retina but whenever I try to boot from it the screen just stays black but the backlight is on. The machine still has a working version of Yosemite on it and recovery mode boots just fine and I can select the USB as a startup disk but upon restart it's just a backlit blank screen. Resetting the PRAM does not help.

The USB itself was created by downloading the Yosemite installer onto a mac mini running 10.6.8 and I carefully (and repeatedly) have followed the instructions using disk utility (GUID partition, etc...). When I try to boot from the USB I can see the USB's led flashes for 1-2 seconds but then stops suggesting it's not reading/loading it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 4:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 2:27 AM

Ok after a lot of (semi-frustrating) troubleshooting I found out the problem was because I was using a USB 3.0 stick.

I tried again using a USB 2.0 stick and it worked like a charm.

Solved.

1 reply

Mid-2012 15" Retina blank screen when booting from USB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.