Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad 2 is working fine but I have no backup

I'm searching fir a solution to backup my iPad and Mini and Windows laptop. It was suggested I go to external hdd for the latter but I haven't found good free software yet.

I know about free Cloud servers but am weary of storing my computers in space. I want to be able to lay hands on a hdd, flash drive, Zip drive or other external contraption.

Any recommendations? If I can share an external drive and just use different software for each machine, that's fine. I bought the drive but offhand can't remember the brand. I'm hoping one drive can hold two OS'

iPhone 4, iOS 8.0.2

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 6:42 PM

11 replies

Jul 30, 2015 11:53 AM in response to PinkiPadLostHerPassCantRecover

Find your original charging cable. It splits in two. The cable connects to the charger via USB connector. Pull the usb connector out of the charger, a little white box. Clever. It's Apple.

Now you have a usb connect to your ipad. Down load iTunes app for windows. Plug you ipad into your computer via the usb connector. This should / may start up iTunes.

R

Jul 31, 2015 6:00 PM in response to rccharles

Thank you. I don't have the original cable from two years ago. I bought a replacement cable but it isn't identical. I'll search on Apple for an original cable unless anyone has a link.

Remove wall charger end to expose USB cable. Plug iPad into laptop, look for backup from links given, then backup iPad to iTunes, then unplug laptop to iPad and then backup iTunes and laptop to external hdd.

That seems doable even with amnesia ;

Aug 4, 2015 9:29 AM in response to PinkiPadLostHerPassCantRecover

You state you have "iPhone 4, iOS 8.0.2 ", but the iPhone 4 does not run 8.x. I have the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4s does run 8.x. Yes, that is a sync cable for a compatible device

Here is the link. Scroll down to the compatibility section.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MA591G/C/apple-30-pin-to-usb-cable?fnode=3a&fs =f%3Dipad2%26fh%3D35c8%252B357c

In a practical sense, that is a sync cable for an iPhone with a 30 pin connector ... wide "one" inch or so connector.

My iPad 2 is working fine but I have no backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.