Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac will not boot into diagnostics mode.

I have a Mid 2011 iMac. It developed a flickering screen that resolved within a couple of seconds but within a few minutes the screen went black. I turned the computer off and rebooted. It was slower to boot, didn't seem to be making all the usual noises on bootup, and now is very slow to start apps and perform tasks. The screen has had a couple of intermittent issues updating/refreshing/filling in the entire image. So I have tried to boot into into diagnostics mode by holding down the D key while the screen is still black and before the gray screen appears. It take a long time to boot but will not start up in diagnostic mode. It goes directly into Mavericks.

So what gives? Is there anything I can do before taking it to the "Genius" bar at the Apple store?

iMac 27"-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 5:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 6:05 PM

Try this

1) SHUT DOWN the computer (Don't RESTART... shut it down)

2) Hold down the OPTION + D keys

3) Press the Power Button (make sure to hold down the OPTION + D keys first)

4) Continue to hold down the OPTION + D keys until the system enters AHT mode

5) Let the app verify the hardware setup before initiating the test.

6) There are two testing modes. To select the "Extended Test" activate the check box below the Test button.

7) Press Test button to begin test

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2015 6:05 PM in response to Fred-Norfolk, VA

Try this

1) SHUT DOWN the computer (Don't RESTART... shut it down)

2) Hold down the OPTION + D keys

3) Press the Power Button (make sure to hold down the OPTION + D keys first)

4) Continue to hold down the OPTION + D keys until the system enters AHT mode

5) Let the app verify the hardware setup before initiating the test.

6) There are two testing modes. To select the "Extended Test" activate the check box below the Test button.

7) Press Test button to begin test

Jul 28, 2015 4:57 AM in response to SeaPapp

I noticed that one of the things safe mode does is "disable user installed fronts." I did install a couple of free online fonts the other day because I had something very specific I wanted to use them for. Can fonts cause problems that might otherwise seem to be related to a graphics processor?

Regardless, I'll try booting into safe mode. Wasn't even aware Mac computers had a safe mode option.

BTW, a 7-year-old iMac I owned died a couple of weeks ago and I was hoping to wait until Apple put out some newer iMacs with 3.1 USB ports before replacing it. Does anyone know when in the year Apple normally releases updated iMacs?

iMac will not boot into diagnostics mode.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.