Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My watch is stuck in airplane mode and locked

My watch says that it is in airplane mode (because it was synched with my phone which I put in airplane mode). However, I can't turn off airplane mode because it is locked. It won't unlock with my phone because it is in airplane mode....so we're stuck in a vicious cycle and it now doesn't work. How to break out of this cycle?

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 8:27 PM

11 replies

Jul 16, 2017 10:14 PM in response to runnerjill

The same thing happened to me however I did not reset my apple watch,

1. Just power off your apple watch

2. Make sure your phone is not on airplane mode when you do this

3. Restart your apple watch and it will tell you to wear it on your wrist and then unlock your iphone

4. Wear it on your wrist and then lock and unlock your iphone making sure bluetooth is switched on

5. Your apple watch will now show you the time and it is unlocked.

It worked for me, I believe it might work for someone else too, so just sharing.

Jul 28, 2015 5:09 AM in response to runnerjill

Hi runnerjill

1. Connect your Apple Watch to its Apple Magnetic Charging Cable.

2. Press and hold the side button (ie the bottom one, not the Digital Crown) until you see the "Power Off" slider button on the screen (along with power reserve and device locked).

3. "Force press" (ie harder than a normal tap) the screen where it says "Power Off" and then tap on Erase all content and settings.

You will then be able to re-pair your Apple Watch with your iPhone - choosing to restore from backup instead of setting it up as a new watch. This will restore most of your previous data and settings and is a very easy process.

From: If you forgot the passcode for your Apple Watch - Apple Support

And: Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Jul 28, 2015 5:33 AM in response to runnerjill

Afterwards: to be able to unlock your Apple Watch directly in the future, you can set it up with its own passcode using one or the other of:

• The Apple Watch app on your iPhone

My Watch > Passcode > Turn passcode On.

• Your Apple Watch

Settings (the cog icon in your apps, accessed via a single press on the Digital Crown) > Passcode (the bottom option) > Turn Passcode On.

You have the choice of setting a simple passcode (4 numbers) or a longer one. It can be the same as your iPhone passcode or (as Apple recommends) a different one. You can also still leave the "Unlock with iPhone" option selected.

Jul 28, 2015 10:48 AM in response to runnerjill

runnerjill wrote:

I can't set up the watch with it's own passcode. My company's security policy has this setting overwritten so that I can't change it. They require that it be done through the iphone. Now that I have restored my phone from backup, does this mean that I should never put it in airplane mode or else it will just get stuck again?

Yes - otherwise, if the watch gets locked whilst in Airplane Mode, you will be back where you started.

I'm glad we were able to resolve your immediate problem, though 🙂

Nov 29, 2016 2:53 PM in response to runnerjill

Unfortunately, the UI designers didn't think about this issue. There should be a way to turn off airplane mode when the watch is locked, just like with the phone. The simplest workaround I know follows.

If you press and hold the side button, you can power cycle to phone, and that it will come back in normal mode, so no need to restore it form backups.

To avoid getting the phone locked in airplane mode, disable airplane mode before taking it off your wrist.

My watch is stuck in airplane mode and locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.