Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suddenly importing clips as separate audio and video clips, linked where they both begin.

Hi there. When I import clips, they appear by default as separate audio and video clips, connected at their beginnings (and synced, of course).

The video clip is in the main storyline and it has no audio in itself (there's no audio waveform under the clip's images, just blank blue space, and when I choose Inspector, it only shows "Video" and "Info" options). The audio clip appears below it, and there's no way to "collapse" the audio and video clips (that option is not available when I right-click either or when I do so having selected both clips in the Timeline). I can expand the audio clip, but it just splits into a green title bar and a waveform bar.

I've imported clips that I know previously imported as default "unified" ("compound"?) clips, where both audio and video are in the primary storyline and clip, and I could expand their audio and video, and then collapse them, and detach them if I wanted to, etc. But even those previously normally imported clips, when imported again, come up as split audio and video clips.

I'd like to go back to the default setting where it'll import audio and video together in one clip. Any advice? Thanks very much in advance.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), null

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 8:58 PM

10 replies

Jul 29, 2015 1:14 AM in response to freeblackfish

WWhy are you opening the clip in the storyline? When you do you have access to the separate components in the clip, video and multiple tracks of audio. The open in timeline function as a number of specufic uses, like adjusting sync, applying stabilization, and a few others. Why are you using it?

opening a clip in the timeline isn't how you being editing. You start with a new project and edit the clip interesting the project.

Jul 29, 2015 1:39 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks, Tom, but my question isn't whether or why I should be opening a clip in the storyline, but why, when I do, does it now display it in the odd manner I've described. I understand what's deemed the normal workflow, but there actually are reasons to open clips, or selected segments of clips, in the storyline. Thanks for your input though.

Jul 29, 2015 1:48 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks very much, Tom, but were you to open a clip in the storyline - not that you necessarily ever have, given that it's "not how you begin editing" (assuming that's in fact when I'm incorrectly opening a clip in the storyline) - does it appear this way? Is the video track in the main storyline accompanied by a thick blank blue strip where the audio waveforms might be expected to be (but which are instead shown as a connected clip)? Why does a video component display as something akin to a compound clip in the main storyline, but with a blank audio component (the broad blank blue strip just under the images but above the connected audio track) accompanying it? It's never shown this way before, at least for me. Clips have opened up on the storyline as something like compound clips, where both audio and video are in the main storyline, ready for splitting should I want to split them, but otherwise fully merged in the main storyline.

Jul 29, 2015 2:10 AM in response to freeblackfish

To edit, you should create a Project (File->New->Project), and then you add your clip selections to the project timeline. When you do this, the clips do not appear with video and audio separate.

The "Open in Timeline", as Tom has already stated, is a different thing. It is a way to look *inside* the contents of the clip, and possibly make some adjustments. In most cases, you don't need this.

Jul 29, 2015 2:15 AM in response to freeblackfish

TThis is normal. This is the way the clip container looks when you open it to see its contents. It's not a compound clip. It's the clip container. As I said you can expand and detach the components inside the container, move them around, delete then, apply effects, and whatever you do is applied to any clips you edit from it into a project. The open in timeline behavior you're seeing is normal.

Suddenly importing clips as separate audio and video clips, linked where they both begin.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.