Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mbc os 10.6 .... beeping..dark screen... white screen... blue screen

MBP quadcore, os 10.6 started beeping this morning. Three beeps in sucession with 2 second pause. Screen was dark. Turned it off by pressing power button. Then restarted. It booted fine. Did a disk utility check. Two minor permissions were off. Fixed them. Actually the repair would not wrap up after fixing two errors. I had to quit. Then tried doing a time machine bkup. I was afraid the RAM was failing, so i wanted to backup asap.

Left it alone and went to work. Came back home. Screen dark. Wouldnt wake up. Turned off. And restart. Screen dark but with chimes when i hit a key. Tried zapping PRAM. Chimes 2x. Boots to a blank white screen. Then i tried a safe boot. It booted to a blue screen. Is my mac a goner?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), bought used, no boot up disck

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 9:18 PM

1 reply

Jul 29, 2015 1:37 PM in response to macistan

probably not. See if you can boot up from the Snow Leopard dvd. put the dvd in the drive, reboot, hold down the "C" key, let it boot up. You should see something on the screen. at the top is OS X Tools, go there , run Disk Utility, choose verify hard drive, repair hard drive, and then "Disk First Aid" . hopefully that did something good. also try resettting the SMC (found on Apple's support page, too long to type here)....do that...... i see you have zapped the pram.. I think it has to be 3 chimes, but whatever...... if it didn't work, it didn't work....

holding down option while rebooting should show you all potentially bootable hard drives. see if you can reinstall the OS to the hard drive

holding down "D" on reboot may let you run Apple Hardware Test.....perhaps....

If the RAM is failing there's not much you can do right now, apart from replacing it. If....Disk Utility cannot get your hard drive going, see if you can find another MBP, or other Mac, connect the two via firewire or Thunderbolt, reboot and hold down the "T" key on the quadcore. Hopefully it'll appear on the other Mac's screen and you can now work with it.. If that doesn't work, then you might be in for some trouble./...after you have gone through target mode, see if you can now do a time machine backup. If you can, good, if not....you may either have to take it in to be fixed or try data rescue 3.....

I (we) don't know much more about your MBP other than what you've told us here. Year, exact model number, amount of ram on board would be helpful

maybe another time.....

John B

mbc os 10.6 .... beeping..dark screen... white screen... blue screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.