Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My external HDD to exFAT, is it completely comaptible with mac os?

I am looking a good solution of an external HDD that can be compatible with both windows and mac. My home is Mac and office is windows. Recently i came accross on an online forum that, exFAT is fully compatible with both systems, no size limit and security issues!

That sounds the perfect solution, but just before i want to switch, i just want to check with great APPLE community, is there any issue? I dont want to loose my data!

Advance Thanks!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), Other OS, Yosemite

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 12:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 1:03 AM

Yes, exFAT is fully compatible with a Mac

6 replies

Jul 28, 2015 2:31 AM in response to debarnab

For the same reason as Applications possibly having problem the exFAT volume would not be useable as a bootable drive for a Mac or for that matter Windows but for data it should be fine.

One possible issue that should not concern you too much is that the newer option in Yosemite to do saves with multiple versions of files and likewise you could not use it as a Time Machine destination. See OS X Yosemite: View and restore past versions of documents

My external HDD to exFAT, is it completely comaptible with mac os?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.