Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can I find any decent Dissolves

Dissolves in Final Cut Pro 10 excuse the expression suck.

Can't seem to find any decent dissolves.

Can't modify the Dissolves that are in Final Cut Pro 10 in motion.

Does anybody know where I can find some decent dissolves and it's very simple task that I can't find them.

PowerMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 7:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 3:38 AM

There is no "Open a copy in Motion" command for transitions, the way there is for titles and effects, but that does not mean you can't do it.

The default cross dissolve is actually a very simple Motion transition, which can be redone in under one minute.

If you create a new transition in Motion, you'll see that it is just a straight cut:

User uploaded file

The standard cross dissolve is obtained thus:

1) Extend "Transition A" all the way to the right, and "Transition B" all the way to the left, so that they last for the whole duration of the transition.

2) Open the Inspector for "Transition A", and in Properties, Blending add a keyframe for Opacity at the beggining, set it to 100%, go to the end, set it to 0%

3) Do the dual thing for "Transition B", so that opacity goes from 0% to 100%.

You can save this and check in FCP X that it works exactly as the built-in cross dissolve.

Now you can take this as a starting point and modify it to suit your needs.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2015 3:38 AM in response to James Christopher

There is no "Open a copy in Motion" command for transitions, the way there is for titles and effects, but that does not mean you can't do it.

The default cross dissolve is actually a very simple Motion transition, which can be redone in under one minute.

If you create a new transition in Motion, you'll see that it is just a straight cut:

User uploaded file

The standard cross dissolve is obtained thus:

1) Extend "Transition A" all the way to the right, and "Transition B" all the way to the left, so that they last for the whole duration of the transition.

2) Open the Inspector for "Transition A", and in Properties, Blending add a keyframe for Opacity at the beggining, set it to 100%, go to the end, set it to 0%

3) Do the dual thing for "Transition B", so that opacity goes from 0% to 100%.

You can save this and check in FCP X that it works exactly as the built-in cross dissolve.

Now you can take this as a starting point and modify it to suit your needs.

Jul 28, 2015 4:00 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Pardon the intrusion, but I've just dropped in to congratulate Luis Sequeira1 on reaching level 6. There is a virtual party for you starting in The Lounge for levels 6 and upwards. Look forward to seeing you there soon.

You should get a link to The Lounge on the ASC Welcome page soon, assuming the bouncers pay attention. If you're not able to get in within a day or so let me know and I'll give the hosts a gentle nudge.

In the meantime, well done on making it to level 6. Parabéns! 🙂🙂🙂

tt2

Why can I find any decent Dissolves

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.