Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos App On Mac - My Photostream Not Updating

On all my Devices My Photostream updates & Synchs as it should except on my Mac with the newer Photos App. I also still have iPhoto on my Mac & it also updates & Synchs perfectly as well. The most I get is 99 Photos on My Photostream in Photos. I am running Yosemite. I have tried turning off Photodtram on all my Devices & tfirst turning My Photostream back on in Photos on the Mac. 99 Photos is all it will download & Synch. I have over 800 photos.

iMac 27" 3.06 GHz. ATI 4670 4GB 1TB, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 7:54 PM

24 replies

Jul 28, 2015 7:22 AM in response to Winston Churchill

No. I don't have iCloud Photo Library. That is the Subscription Service of uploading every picture you own to every device, correct.

I am only using My Photostream & Sharing. But it still does not make sense. All my other devices & iPhoto on the same Mac have over 800 Photos in their Photostreams. Photos is the only one I have 99 photos in it's My Photostream.

And to add, I shut off My Photostream on all devices & then just turned on Photos "My Photostream" and that is how I got 99. Before that I only had 53 Photos in there. 99 is the most the Photos App has ever had.

Jul 28, 2015 9:36 AM in response to Dino1956

Photo stream in the cloud will hold up to 1000 photos for 30 days, after that time it will delete them. Devices that sync with the cloud will continue to keep the photos for longer than 30 days up to the 1000 limit.

If you turn off photo stream on your device though and your photos are removed, it can then only download what is in the cloud, which is the last 30 days worth and probably less than what was there before.

Could this explain what it is that you are seeing.

Jul 28, 2015 10:27 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I really don't think so. Because in iPhoto you have the ability to add photos to iCloud (My Photostream) and I add photos to it all the time. And that's another issue. I see no place in the Photo App to add pictures to My Photostream. Why not? Did they remove that feature? I used that feature all the time to make sure my favorite photos were always in My Photostream. Also, when I take a brand new photo on my iPhone. The photo immediately appears on all devices except the Photo App on my Mac. That is itself is an indication that something is definitely wrong with my Photos App.

Jul 28, 2015 11:46 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Sure I see one. In left hand column. It's called "My Photstream" but it is not updating to any new photos I take on my iPhone.

I just took another photo & it appeared in Photostream on EVERY device including iPhoto on the Mac. All except Photos on the Mac. I don't know how it chose to just put these 99 photos in there because they are random photos. It makes no sense. Bottom line is any new photo I take on my iPhone should appear in My Photostream in Photos on my Mac, and it does not. But if I Import a random photo on my from anywhere on my Mac that is not in Photos, it will put it that photo in My Photstream.

Jul 29, 2015 8:06 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Are you saying I should no longer be using iPhoto? I have both. But they have 2 separate Librarys in my Mac's Pictures Folder. So they really have nothing to do with one another. And why shouldn't iPhoto be showing the New Pictures I take with my iPhone in it's iCloud (Photostream)? iPhoto is working as Normal. Is there anything wrong with running both of these programs on the same Mac? Since they both have their own individual Library's, I can't see why not.

Jul 29, 2015 10:58 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I do understand that. But they are never open at the same time.

Are you saying I should not have them both installed?

I would hate to give up my iPhoto.

Another issue is, in Photos I cannot add some favorite photos into the Photostream. I could easily do that with iPhoto.

There are certain photos that I always like to have in My Photostream and in iPhpto that is accomplished quite easily.

But I see no way to do that in Photos.

Call me old fashioned but I like iPhoto.

But I'm also a realist & know it will eventually be discontinued. That is why I am trying to get Photos to work for me.

Thanks for sticking with me on this!

Jul 29, 2015 11:55 AM in response to Dino1956

I am experiencing the same problem. Are you saying that I have to remove Iphoto to have it working? I'm not using iphoto but just followed the instructions when installing the new Pictures app and it didn't say anything about the photo stream not working with that type of installation. In addition, when I turned off the Photostream and then turned it on, I got the last 30 days from the stream also in my Pictures app on my mac. I'm confused...

Jul 29, 2015 1:08 PM in response to laspen

laspen, Thanks for chiming in. I'm not saying anything. I'm just waiting for Winston to answer some of those questions. I thought maybe when I installed Yosemite, somehow my Photos App got corrupted when it installed. I talked to Apple on the phone & unfortunately Photos is not available as a separate App. It is installed as part of Yosemite. And Apple on the Phone did not really have an answer as to why Photos is not updating. Since I just did a clean install of Yosemite last week, I doubt that my Photos App is corrupt. But who knows?

Jul 30, 2015 1:43 AM in response to Dino1956

There shouldn't be a problem using both iPhoto and Photos at the same time, indeed I still have both and often have them open together.

I'm also not suggesting anyone deletes iPhoto either, indeed if I was to provide advice in that area, my suggestion would be to keep it. Because of a special way that Apple uses hard links, both libraries actually access the same originals, which means by deleting the iPhoto library you would save very little space, but by keeping it you retain your original library for reference or rescue, should something not be right in the photos app.

However, it needs to be understood that whilst you can keep iPhoto, it can't continue to work with photo stream once you have migrated the library, when you try to you should see something like this...

User uploaded file

So what I am saying is that, it seems that your migration from iPhoto to Photos has gone wrong some how if your version of iPhoto is still working with photo stream.

Do you recall what you did during migration or if after migrating you tried to re-enable the cloud in the iPhoto preferences.

Photos App On Mac - My Photostream Not Updating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.