Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 2009-2012 - os x remote power on / cold boot

how can i remotely power on these mac pro's?

the machines are plugged in apc smart ups with network card - which i can power off/on via vpn.

all mac pro's running on windows 7 perfectly get it - and even a completely shutdown workstation starts booting.

the same machines - when running osx yosemite don't.

because when running windows anything works - the mac pro hardware is not the problem.

any ideas ???

kind regards

tom

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), null

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 12:28 AM

2 replies

Jul 28, 2015 2:38 AM in response to TomasMuc

If the Mac is already on and you have set its Power/Energy Saver settings to restart in the even of a power failure then it should 'turn on' when you tell the APC to power on/off the matching outlet.

If however you deliberately turn off the Mac Pro e.g. shutdown, and then tell the APC to power on or power cycle the matching outlet then I believe what you are reporting i.e. the Mac not turning on will happen.

I have previously reported this to Apple as an enhancement request via their official bugreporter system for developers (ticket 19366207) but they did not seem to comprehend the issue properly. If you do the same maybe they will do something about this issue.

If you don't have a developer account then you can use the Feedback pages here but these do not get as much attention by Apple. http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Jul 28, 2015 3:10 AM in response to John Lockwood

hi john,

exactly - my problem is only when the computers were shutdown normally by user e.g. for weekend or holidays.

as we have to use windows 7 on 2 machines (because they run solidworks) - i was astonished that windows can do this even on the mac hardware easily.

so my conclusion was - the hardware is well designed for this purpose - but osx does have a bug.

nope - sorry - no developer account. so i try the forum feedback pages ...

kind regards

tom

Mac Pro 2009-2012 - os x remote power on / cold boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.