Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i quit megabackup it keeps popping up even though i put it on trash

How do I quit Megabackup, (the software) it keeps popping up even though I keep putting it on trash

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 11:42 PM

5 replies

Jul 28, 2015 6:02 AM in response to mlevy10

Don't use any kind of "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" product on a Mac. There is never a need for it, and relying on it for protection makes you more vulnerable to attack, not less.

You may have installed the "Flashmall" trojan. Take the steps below to disable it.

Malware is always changing to get around the defenses against it. This procedure works as of now, as far as I know. It may not work in the future. Anyone finding this comment a few days or more after it was posted should look for a more recent discussion, or start a new one.

Back up all data before continuing.

1. Triple-click the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/LaunchAgents

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return. A folder named "LaunchAgents" will open.

2. Inside the folder you just opened, there may be files with a name beginning in any of the following ways:

com.crossrider

com.extensions

com.flashmall

com.Installer.completer

com.webhelper

com.webtools

flashmall

UpdateDownloader

WebSocketServerApp

Move any such files to the Trash and close the Finder window. Log out or restart the computer. The trojan will now be inactive, but there are a few more components of it that should be cleaned up.

3. Do as in Step 1 with this line:

~/Library/Application Support

A folder named "Application Support" will open. Inside it there may be subfolders with any of these names:

IM.Installer

webHelperApp

WebTools

If so, move those subfolders—not the "Application Support" folder—to the Trash.

4. Open this folder in the same way as above:

~/Library/ScriptingAdditions

and remove an item named

BrowserHelper.osax

if present.

5. Open this folder:

~/Library

Look for subfolders with either of these names:

flashmall

WebTools

and move them to the Trash, if present.

6. Open the Applications folder. If it contains an item named "Flashmall" or "WebTools", move that to the Trash.

Important: You can't delete applications by trying to drag them from the Dock or the LaunchPad. Open the Applications folder in the Finder.

7. Open this folder in the same way as above:

~/Applications

This is not the usual Applications folder, but a different one inside your home folder. Look for an application with a name like this:

flashmall

and move it to the Trash, if present.

Empty the Trash.

8. From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Extensions

Uninstall all extensions you don't know you need, including one called "GoldenBoy," if it's present. If in doubt, remove all of them. None is required for normal operation. Do the equivalent in the Chrome and Firefox browsers, if you use either of those.

Jul 28, 2015 7:00 AM in response to mlevy10

MegaBackup is junk software that should not be used, and that is often distributed with a wide variety of different adware programs, including Genieo, VSearch and Bundlore (one variant of which is called Flashmall).

Removing it should be very easy. If it won't quit, press command-option-esc to open the Force Quit window, select MegaBackup, then click the Force Quit button. Then, assuming it's in your trash can, empty the trash. If that really doesn't work for some reason, make sure it's in the trash and then restart your computer.

Removing MegaBackup is the smallest part of the job, though. You will also need to search for and remove any adware that may have been installed alongside it. My Adware Removal Guide can help with that.

(Fair disclosure: I am affiliated with Malwarebytes, whose site I am linking to above.)

Aug 7, 2015 7:49 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks Linc

At least I don't have the spurious webpages appearing

I notice that MegaBackup agent still appears in the Activity Monitor and Force Quit doesn't remove it.

I couldn't find any of the files you mentioned in the other libraries but I did trash the following

file:///Users/ralph/.Trash/com.unhedgefibrilla.agent.plist

file:///Users/ralph/.Trash/com.syncretisticundersweat.agent.plist

There is something called otwexplain as an extension in Safari preferences. Do you think that is related

Thank you for your time and effort

I really appreciate it

Ralph

Aug 7, 2015 8:12 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks Linc

At least I don't have the spurious webpages appearing

I notice that MegaBackup agent still appears in the Activity Monitor and Force Quit doesn't remove it.

I couldn't find any of the files you mentioned in the other libraries but I did trash the following

PS -= added later

I tried to Force Quit Megabackup agent in the activity monitor and then went and emptied the trash.

When a revisited the activity monitor Megabackup was not present so maybe this resolved it.

Thanks again

Ralph

how do i quit megabackup it keeps popping up even though i put it on trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.