Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule connecting to BT Homehub 5

I am about to change to BT Infinity and currently run my AirPort Time Capsule from a Technicolor modem/router. The BT Home Hub 5 appears to have its modem integrated, would it be easier to ask for a BT Open Reach modem, which then would presumably plug straight into my Time Capsule? I don't want to use the Home Hub 5 for wifi.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 1:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 2:55 AM

There is no requirement for the Home Hub to provide wifi if you do not wish it to.. (it makes not a wisp of difference if you want to know).

Simply put the TC in bridge.. and create a wireless network.. the only network available to clients will be the TC.

19 replies

Jul 30, 2015 2:14 AM in response to georgefromgloucester

Would I be better requesting an Openreach fibre modem and connecting using PPPoE

No.. the airports work poorly on fibre and even worse with PPPOE..

Stick to your HH5.. it is perfectly fine for the job.

I don't fully understand what the bridge mode is?

It means the TC is no longer the main router.. the HH5 takes that role..

The TC however still works in your network as wireless AP and switch and network disk for TM backups..

This is bridge mode.

User uploaded file

When you setup the TC it will naturally choose this setting.. plug the WAN port of the TC into the LAN port of the HH5. Run the airport utility and it will choose to setup the TC as bridged device and create a wireless network..

Ignore completely the HH5 wireless.

If it bothers you.. or turn it off.. you are not going to be affected by it in any way on or off.

Nov 29, 2015 8:01 AM in response to Jerry Dammers

Connect with an Ethernet cable......from one of the LAN <--> ports on the HH5 to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule. The Time Capsule can be located anywhere an Ethernet cable will reach.....up to 300+ feet, or about 100 meters, away from the HH5.

Reset the Time Capsule back to factory default settings and then set it up again using the confirmation "wizard" on your Mac or your iPhone or iPad. The "wizard" will suggest the correct type of setup and guide you through the installation.

To, start the "wizard", click the WiFi icon on your Mac and then click on Time Capsule under New AirPort Base Station.

If you have an iPhone or iPad, start the "wizard" by tapping on Settings on the Home Screen, then tapping on WiFi and then tapping on Time Capsule.

Nov 29, 2015 8:28 AM in response to Jerry Dammers

The Time Capsule will not show up under New AirPort Base Station when you click the WiFi icon unless it has first been reset to factory default settings.

Here, I am assuming that you are using a recent operating system on your Mac like El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks, or Mountain Lion. In the example below, an AirPort Extreme is the new device to be set up, but you will see Time Capsule on your screen.

User uploaded file

This type of reset will not affect the data on the Time Capsule hard drive in any way.....it only erases the current network settings so the Time Capsule can be set up again.

Nov 29, 2015 8:58 AM in response to Bob Timmons

I've reset the Time Capsule and can now see it under the wifi icon on my Mac and also my iPhone.

However when I try to set it up on my MacBook Pro it states "Cannot find any base stations that need to be set up. Make sure the base station is set up and in range"

On my iPhone it starts to "gather information" but I can't go any further.

Are my problems linked to the wifi I'm connected to in my house? the BT broadband isn't working - I presumed because of the ethernet connection between the Home Hub and the Time Capsule - so I'm using BT-FON on both my Mac and iPhone to get wifi.

Nov 29, 2015 9:14 AM in response to Jerry Dammers

I am not familiar with BT - FON, so cannot help on that. This is the first that we have heard of this in your post.

As I said above, make sure that you have an Ethernet cable connection from one of the LAN <--> ports on the HHG to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule.

Was assuming that your HH5 was set up normally to provide a wireless network signal. At this point, the only thing that I can suggest is to temporarily connect an Ethernet cable from your Mac to one of the three LAN <--> ports on the Time Capsule to see if a connection can be established that way to set up the Time Capsule. If it can, then you can disconnect the Time Capsule once it has been set up.

Otherwise, I am afraid that you will need to wait for someone who is familiar with BT - FON and how that might apply in this case.

Time Capsule connecting to BT Homehub 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.