Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck on new owner password. help?

So I got a new macbook, someone reinstalled OSX but now it's stuck on needing me to log into the "new owner" account. I don't have a password, can't contact the seller and all I can do is turn it off or enter the password. I have no idea what to do! I think the OS is Mavericks. Please help?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 2:19 AM

2 replies

Jul 28, 2015 11:09 AM in response to schraapsel

The seller should have wiped the drive and reinstalled the original OS. If resetting the password does not work, try to boot into recovery (Command + R keys during boot up) or Intenet Recovery (Command + Option + R) - it takes a while to connect to Apple's servers. Once you see the Utilities screen, use Disk Utility to wipe the drive and then choose to reinstall. That should result in a new install of the original OS version and you can then set it up using your own Apple ID and password. I would always recommend wiping a drive when buying used as you do not know what files or problems are hidden somewhere.

Stuck on new owner password. help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.