Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue with MagSafe Power Adapter

There was a brief power fluctuation at my home recently. My Magsafe Adapter (60W for MBP 2013 non-retina model) was plugged in at that time. After that when I tried to charge my MBP, the adapter overheated a lot and stopped charging after being plugged in only for a short while. I gave it a short amount of rest and then retried but got the same result. I let the charger rest for a day and then tried charging next day. Now it doesn't stop charging in between, but it does get heated a lot and I can hear a buzzing sound from the adapter when I bring my ear close to it. I called up the Service Center and they told me that they dont repair adapters. Now I am not sure whether the adapter is actually damaged or not? Does the scenario I have described means that the magsafe adapter needs replacement? It still charges the MBP properly but is it safe to continue to use it? Can a faulty adapter cause any damage to the laptop? Any help/info in this regard would be really appreciated.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 2:32 AM

3 replies

Jul 29, 2015 6:43 AM in response to sam2109

Thanks for the help guys. Resetting SMC did not work. So I followed Csound1's advice and took it to Apple Store. They told me that since the charger is charging properly, I can use it safely and it won't damage the macbook. The charger might eventually go out and stop charging and at that point I will have to get a new one. Till then, this one is good enough to use. Thanks again!

Issue with MagSafe Power Adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.