Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xcode.app stuck Trash after re-install

Hello there,

A copy of Xcode.app is stuck in my Trash after re-installing it.

I tried to re-install Xcode after it crashed half way through. It actually wrecked the whole system, so I had to uninstall it in Safe Mode.

Eventually I re-installed it, but there is that copy of Xcode.app now sitting in my Trash - I cannot delete this file because I am told it is being used.

Force deleting it via Terminal does not work - I get the same message that it is currently in use.

Can anyone suggest what or why this is happening and how I can remove the .app file from Trash?

I am using Yosemite.

Thanks,

Spencer

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 5:51 AM

3 replies

Jul 28, 2015 7:30 AM in response to SpenMillard

Start up in safe mode and try again to empty the Trash. Then restart as usual (not in safe mode.)

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Xcode.app stuck Trash after re-install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.