Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to disconnect from Internet with Time Capsule unaffected?

Hi, I have Time Capsule as backup; so I need Ethernet connected from TC to Router, otherwise TC/backups won't work.

But, I want to disconnect from the Internet. I have turned off Wifi ok.

But, i notice from the Network panel in System Preferences, the Ethernet is Connected...and there is no way to "disconnnect"

Is there a way to have both? i.e. functioning TC AND no connection to the Internet??

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5 8GB1600MHz

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 4:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 4:52 AM

Yes, but do explain if you are using internet at all.. or want no internet on the computer?? If you want internet and backup at the same time without the TC being connected to the internet then both must connect to different input.. either wifi or ethernet.. so if internet uses wifi .. TC can use ethernet but it is a complicated setup.. it is hugely easier to plug a USB drive directly into the computer.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2015 4:52 AM in response to LynnWilton

Yes, but do explain if you are using internet at all.. or want no internet on the computer?? If you want internet and backup at the same time without the TC being connected to the internet then both must connect to different input.. either wifi or ethernet.. so if internet uses wifi .. TC can use ethernet but it is a complicated setup.. it is hugely easier to plug a USB drive directly into the computer.

Jul 29, 2015 1:36 AM in response to LynnWilton

Reset the TC to factory.. it will go back to default setup which is router.

If you have issues doing this do it manually by ethernet.

Airtport Utility can't find Airport Time Capsule on either of my 2009 Macs

Once you setup in router mode ignore all the problems..there will be a whole stack of them.. due to no WAN connection.

OR

Use static IP method here.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5981989?answerId=25135547022#25135547022&ac_cid=tw123456#

Aug 8, 2015 1:46 AM in response to LaPastenague

How to reset TC to factory?

Do I go to Time Machine in System Preferences? Does'nt seem to be such option there i.e. to reset to factory..

Do I go to Time Machine via "Applications"...can't find the way to reset to factory..

Once I've done this reset...then what?

My objective is to use TC for backups (its working fine at present) but I want no internet (neither wifi (turned off already) nor Ethernet (If I disconnect the cable from the TM, then TM won't work (green light changes to yellow, backups then do not happen)..

Thanks for your advice...

Aug 8, 2015 3:27 AM in response to LynnWilton

My objective is to use TC for backups (its working fine at present) but I want no internet (neither wifi (turned off already) nor Ethernet (If I disconnect the cable from the TM, then TM won't work (green light changes to yellow, backups then do not happen)..

You are not reading the material.. the post I gave you already answers all the questions.

Anyway here goes again.

These are the steps for manual configuration.

Please confirm every step. If any step fails quote the step.. take a screenshot and show me what is happening.

1. In the computer.. IPv6 is set to link local in ethernet (wireless is turned off). See screenshot in 4 below. Configure IPv6 for correct setting.

2. TC LAN port is plugged into the computer by ethernet.. and nothing else. No WAN connection.. no other connection.

3. Factory reset.

Factory reset universal

Power off the TC.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the TC to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

N.B. None of your files on the hard disk of the TC are deleted.. this simply clears out the router settings of the TC.

4. Make sure you are getting an IP in the computer from the TC.. Computer should be 10.0.1.2 (small variation won't matter) the router must show 10.0.1.1 after a reset.

This is from the computer.. network preferences.

User uploaded file

5. Open the airport utility and go to the top menu area. Open File / Configure Other.

User uploaded file

6. Type in your IP address.. after a factory reset there is no password required. But if it complains it is public

Click ok.

User uploaded file

7. You will then get the full edit screens where you can manually setup the TC to whatever you want.

User uploaded file

8. I strongly recommend changing to all SMB compatible names, ie short 2-20 characters.

No spaces and Pure alphanumeric.

eg

User uploaded file

9. In your case disable wireless. Normally people will create a wireless network.

User uploaded file

10. Set up correct mode. Open the network tab.

Because you want to do this stand alone.. you must use DHCP and NAT.. but ignore the errors.

User uploaded file

The internet tab can be left DHCP.. you will get errors.. ignore them all.. So the light goes green..

User uploaded file

You will get errors for no wan connection .. no dns.. no loads of stuff.. ignore every single error.. so the light goes green.. OR cover the light with black tape.. some effect.. you are ignoring the setup errors.

11. Now you can mount the TC hard disk in finder..

Use Go Connect to Server. from the top menu..

Type in AFP://10.0.1.1

Type in the password.. public if you don't change it and save to the keychain.

You can now use your TC in stand alone backup.

Aug 9, 2015 2:58 AM in response to LynnWilton

I can see from the names in the airport utility you have not factory reset it.. Or you have multiple units and I cannot see enough info about why it failed.

Start again.. when it fails you have messed up a step.. so go back to the start.

One thing I do need to add.. make sure you switch the wireless off in the computer.. and switch the airport utility over to ethernet connection.. this is not necessary with decent OS but since Yosemite.. anything goes. By default it uses wifi.. and only when ethernet is connected can you select it.. and the most amazing thing is where you select it. Other WiFi Devices. Ethernet is apparently in Apple's mind a subset of WiFi.

User uploaded file

Aug 16, 2015 1:39 AM in response to LynnWilton

Hi There,

Still persevering with the TC reset attempt..

I'm sure I managed the TC reset properly...toothpick to gently click the reset button, holding in the toothpick...power the TC back on, holding in the pick...moment or two later, the rapid flashing yellow light, keeps flashing rapid untii i release the toothpick...then yellow light is on steady for minute or two...then yellow light reverts to slow flashing on/off (not rapid this time, of course)....

I have taken screenshots at every step of the way, some are given here, I have more if you would like to see...

Unfortunately, having rebooted the iMac, I find the TM backups are failing...and my ethernet cable is still accessing the Net (downloaded today's news from Bloomberg (16 august 15).

Can't think how I've gone wrong as i followed each of your steps to a T (except i elected to have wifi (with security password) (and because I can easily switch it off) (it was switched off when I downloaded the news today from bloomberg). Any advice much appreciated...

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Aug 16, 2015 3:16 AM in response to LynnWilton

Hi.. thanks for your screenshot.. you did it with a camera.. instead of using Command + Shift +4 which makes a direct shot of the screen.. no matter.

There are a couple of things you did not do..

1. You did not fix the name.. The 4th shot down clearly shows the name is still wrong.

2. You still have ethernet plugged into the TC WAN port.. you have an IP address.. 192.168.100.2

The only way you can get that IP is by being plugged into a router.. please unplug this from WAN.

There are two wires plugged into the TC..

1 A power cord.

2. One ethernet cord .. TC LAN port to computer.

Nothing else.

The computer must have its wifi off.

Then internet is impossible.

Mount the TC disk in finder.. us Go, Connect to server.. type in SMB://10.0.1.1

It should work. If not I need more screenshots that show what you are doing.. I want a picture of the TC showing just the one ethernet cord.. and I want wireless off in the computer and the TC.. then nothing can mess up your computer isolation.

Aug 16, 2015 6:29 AM in response to LaPastenague

Many thanks for the response..

Wifi is switched off.

First picture shows the TC and its 2 cables connected (1. power; 2. ethernet to iMac)

(You are of course correct, I had another cable connected to router - now removed - I had assumed (wrongly) that such connection was necessary to enable TC to work as TM i.e. to make backups)

I understand that, with wifi switched off) internet is now impossible with these connections.

Picture #2 shows Finder after I mounted the TC Dish in Finder, having Go, Connect to server.typed in SMB://10.0.1.1

I am uncertain of some things still:....

1. Your point #1 "you did not fix the name, my 4th shot earlier today.." what do I do here..? Might well be related to fact that my TM is still slow-flashing the yellow light

2. Backups are still not possible "Backup Failed"

3. Wifi (when switched on..intending to upload screenshots, does not produce any windows on the InternetUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Aug 16, 2015 1:54 PM in response to LynnWilton

I see no reason now for it not to work.

Did you delete the old Time Machine backup setup?

See A4 here. http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

As stated you are using the TC in a way that will give errors.. it is impossible to avoid the errors.. because you are using the TC in a way it is not designed for. So you select ignore. When you ignore all the errors it will go green.

Let me do the whole thing again.. but this is the end.. sorry.. but you are wasting your time and an expensive Time Capsule.. when a $100 USB drive will do this with no setup issues at all.

I take my perfectly good TC and plug it by ethernet into the computer.. wireless off.

Factory reset.

Open the airport utility.. so here we go.

Type the IP into configure other.

User uploaded file

Up comes the full manual setup.. starting from summary screen.. on a freshly reset TC..

User uploaded file

Go to Base Station and fix the name.

User uploaded file

You can skip internet.. go to wireless. Select Off

User uploaded file

You can now update.

Nothing else needs changing.

User uploaded file

Click on each error and ignore it.

User uploaded file

Now you have a nice green TC with lots of ignored errors.

User uploaded file

At this point I will post and jump to the TM setup.

Aug 16, 2015 2:20 PM in response to LaPastenague

You have a working TC plugged into your computer and ready for setup.. skip the Finder stuff.. that is not necessary at this stage. I was being too complicated.. but I did need to use go, connect to server to enable Finder to see the disk. I do not know why the TC is not automatically mounted.. but Time Machine will do that for you.

This is what I did.. i run mountain lion.. what you have to do might be slightly different.. and you might need to start from pondini reset of Time Machine.. A4.

I simply added the backup.

Open your Time Machine preferences.

Click on Select Disk.

User uploaded file

Click the TC disk.. It should be in the list.. if not mount it in finder first.

In yours it should simply list as data. But it should show clearly..

Select Use Disk.

User uploaded file

choose if you wish to use or replace.. I didn't want to mess up my existing backup so I selected Use Both. In your case it should replace whatever you used before.

User uploaded file

You need to type in the password. Unchanged it is public.

User uploaded file

It is now waiting to start the backup.

User uploaded file

So I selected backup now.

User uploaded file

Voila .. back up is running.

User uploaded file

In Finder you see it has mounted the Time Machine under devices and is backing up to it.

User uploaded file

After 30min the backup is now 25GB so around 50GB/hr which is right on estimates.

User uploaded file

There it is .. backup to a TC in full network isolation.

Here is why this is worst use of a TC.

A USB drive is 1000% easier to setup.. no network messing around.

Time Machine is easier to setup.

Time Machine is more reliable on local drives.

Time Machine is faster.

USB drives of the same capacity as the Time Capsule cost 1/3 the price.

You can sell the TC on ebay and buy a much larger capacity USB drive with the proceeds.. have faster more reliable backups.

Not waste weeks of your time configuring something that is not designed for the job.. This is using a screw driver as a chisel. Or a wrench as a hammer.. it works but poorly. There is no good reason to do it when hammers and chisels are cheaper.

Aug 20, 2015 6:38 AM in response to LaPastenague

Voila, indeed!!

All ok now. I now have exactly what I wanted at the outset; TM backups with no internet. I have option to turn on wifi if necessary.

I would like to mention my very grateful thanks for your patience, generous efforts and the very many easy to follow instructions...

I do sympathise with your role in feeling compelled to help out computer illiterates such as myself. Not a very good use of your time, but a godsend to me. Many Thanks!

About your very fair comments on "why am using a TM at all, when a cheaper USB drive would be more than adequate...?"

I see your point. Except perhaps that my backups are for relatively large files which are regularly changing in some bulk. TM has the ability to update backups around the clock auto.

The key point (i think) is that if I used a separate bog-standard USB drive, I would have to copy and recopy the backup (taking a long time even with the fastest USB cable) with such regularity, it would become a real chore. Unwanted.

In addition, TM auto encrypts too. I know I could ( if I learned how) to encrypt a disk image, but again this takes a long time..and I need very regular backups..

So, TM is ideally suited for my requirements...even though I have to pay more for the TC/Airport which I don't need (at present...I have the option to use this later, perhaps).

Wishing you a great day!

Aug 20, 2015 2:06 PM in response to LynnWilton

You are confusing Time Machine and Time Capsule I think..

Time Machine will backup to a USB drive. It is identical to backup to a Time Capsule.

Except perhaps that my backups are for relatively large files which are regularly changing in some bulk. TM has the ability to update backups around the clock auto.

Same.. TM can use USB or TC.. it auto backs up all your files.

The key point (i think) is that if I used a separate bog-standard USB drive, I would have to copy and recopy the backup (taking a long time even with the fastest USB cable) with such regularity, it would become a real chore. Unwanted.

No, this is not the case.. TM runs your backups not you. it auto backs up your files to whatever target disk you select.. USB is better.

USB is faster even bog standard USB drive with USB2 is faster than network backup over gigabit. Sorry but just do the test.. I can get twice the speed from USB2 and much much more from USB3.

In addition, TM auto encrypts too. I know I could ( if I learned how) to encrypt a disk image, but again this takes a long time..and I need very regular backups..

Same.. you can select encrypt in TM.. It then backs up to target drive.. USB or TC makes no difference whatsoever. NONE. Except USB is cheaper, faster more reliable.

So, TM is ideally suited for my requirements

Sure is.. and it will use Local Disks .. that means any disk plugged into your computer.. or network disk.

You simply select the target disk in the TM preferences.. it will use USB, Firewire, Thunderbolt, or Suitable Network drives. Or even internal disks in a Mac Pro.

How to disconnect from Internet with Time Capsule unaffected?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.