Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 6 and outlook2016 synchronizing in MAC

I have Office 2016 on my MAC and I want to synchronize all my contacts to my Outlook from my Iphone 6. Previously I use to do it through iTunes but now this option is not showing to me. Please can anyone suggest on this.

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 6:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 5:05 AM

Microsoft persist year after year in saying their new Mac (insert your choice of Microsoft app here) piece of software is now equal to the Windows version and yet when you actually check this turns out to be a lie each time. So Outlook 2016 for Mac is far, far less capable than Outlook 2016 for Windows. See https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj984198(v=office.16).aspx

However even that article does not really address your particular issue. As you have found Outlook 2016 does not support syncing via iTunes on a Mac, Microsoft expect you to be using a Microsoft Exchange server. If your email account is via an Exchange server then your Outlook 2016 for Mac will sync contacts to your server account, and your iPhone will also sync contacts to and from the same Exchange account.

If you don't have an Exchange account then there is little to no justification for using Outlook on a Mac at all. If you must be a masochist and do so then your only option is to export your contacts from Outlook 2016 and then import them in to Apple's Contacts application. You can then either sync Apple's Contacts application via iTunes or set up a free iCloud account or a free Carddav account (e.g. Google Mail) and then have the Contacts application and iPhone both sync their contacts via that free account.

Just in case anyone else tries going down the wrong path, Outlook 2016 for Mac does not support Carddav accounts, nor are there any plugins to add this to Outlook 2016 for Mac.

There is one final scenario that is a solution for some. Kerio make a mail server called Kerio Connect, this supports EWS (Exchange Web Services) as used by Apple Mail , Apple Contacts, Apple Calendar and Outlook 2016 for Mac, it also supports Carddav as used by Apple Contacts and iPhone, and it also supports EAS (Exchange Active Sync) as used by iPhone. It does not support MAPI as used by Outlook 2016 for Windows. If you do have a Kerio Connect server then you can sync contacts from Outlook 2016 for Mac to it, and also sync your iPhone to them same Kerio Connect account. Kerio Connect is not free.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2015 5:05 AM in response to Anishks

Microsoft persist year after year in saying their new Mac (insert your choice of Microsoft app here) piece of software is now equal to the Windows version and yet when you actually check this turns out to be a lie each time. So Outlook 2016 for Mac is far, far less capable than Outlook 2016 for Windows. See https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj984198(v=office.16).aspx

However even that article does not really address your particular issue. As you have found Outlook 2016 does not support syncing via iTunes on a Mac, Microsoft expect you to be using a Microsoft Exchange server. If your email account is via an Exchange server then your Outlook 2016 for Mac will sync contacts to your server account, and your iPhone will also sync contacts to and from the same Exchange account.

If you don't have an Exchange account then there is little to no justification for using Outlook on a Mac at all. If you must be a masochist and do so then your only option is to export your contacts from Outlook 2016 and then import them in to Apple's Contacts application. You can then either sync Apple's Contacts application via iTunes or set up a free iCloud account or a free Carddav account (e.g. Google Mail) and then have the Contacts application and iPhone both sync their contacts via that free account.

Just in case anyone else tries going down the wrong path, Outlook 2016 for Mac does not support Carddav accounts, nor are there any plugins to add this to Outlook 2016 for Mac.

There is one final scenario that is a solution for some. Kerio make a mail server called Kerio Connect, this supports EWS (Exchange Web Services) as used by Apple Mail , Apple Contacts, Apple Calendar and Outlook 2016 for Mac, it also supports Carddav as used by Apple Contacts and iPhone, and it also supports EAS (Exchange Active Sync) as used by iPhone. It does not support MAPI as used by Outlook 2016 for Windows. If you do have a Kerio Connect server then you can sync contacts from Outlook 2016 for Mac to it, and also sync your iPhone to them same Kerio Connect account. Kerio Connect is not free.

Aug 4, 2015 12:29 AM in response to John Lockwood

John

Thanks for the input. I am having the same problem as Anishks, though I would like to sync contacts as well as calendars. I recently changed jobs, at which point I got a new mac for work, with Outlook 365 and the newest version of iTunes.

I am very averse to using Mac Mail. As a business tool, I don't think it has near the capabilities as Outlook. However, contrary to that, contact and calendar syncing is VITAL to how I operate on a daily basis.

Unfortunately, my new company is not using Exchange. This may change, but in the interim, I am desperately looking for a solution.

Two questions:

1. If I downgrade to Outlook 2011, would this fix the issue?

2. I have read about an application called CompanionLink, which is supposed to have the ability to sync calendars and contacts. Do you know anything about this application? The reviews I have read are mixed.

Appreciate any insight you have!

Aug 4, 2015 1:30 AM in response to BroBear

BroBear wrote:

Unfortunately, my new company is not using Exchange. This may change, but in the interim, I am desperately looking for a solution.

Two questions:

1. If I downgrade to Outlook 2011, would this fix the issue?

2. I have read about an application called CompanionLink, which is supposed to have the ability to sync calendars and contacts. Do you know anything about this application? The reviews I have read are mixed.

Appreciate any insight you have!

I have never tried syncing Outlook on a Mac, I have a strong suspicion that even Outlook 2011 for Mac is not supported by Apple, only Outlook for Windows - at least as of the latest iTunes.

I had a look at the CompanionLink webpage, after following a multitude of links I eventual hit the right product for syncing Outlook for Mac. As you might have gathered I have not used it but based on their webpage yes it does sound like it will do what you want which is a direct sync between Outlook on a Mac and an iOS device. Optionally it looks like it could also sync between Outlook and Gmail and then your iOS device could also sync to Gmail.

As there is a free trial version I suggest you go ahead an try it. They support both Outlook 2011 and Outlook 2015 aka. 2016 so you can use the latest version of Outlook for Mac as provided with Office365 for Mac.

iphone 6 and outlook2016 synchronizing in MAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.