Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setup two Time Capsules without WiFi

I have two original Time Caosules on my ethernet network, which then give out a WiFi signal in my home.

I want to replace the WiFi signal with two new Airport Extremes (due to better WiFi/network speeds) but wish to leave the TCs in place for backups.

Here is my suggested steps- any corrections gratefully received:

1/ leave TC's exactly as they are now (with ethernet cables into the WAN ports) EXCEPT now turning off the Wireless (wireless tab in Airport Utility -> network mode -> switch to "off)

2/ setups new Airport Extremes with old network name and password, so none of my devices have to "learn" about the new network- they will pick up the signal automatically (?)

3/ do I plug the Airport Extremes into the LAN ports on the back of the TCs or into ethernet sockets on the wall (which lead back to router/modem).

It would be handy to plug into the back of the TCs as I might be short of sockets....

Thanks for any tips.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 3:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 4:55 AM

What you are suggesting should work fine.

The TC may well do better moved to a more secondary role.. ie it is plugged into the Extreme rather than visa versa but what you want to do is also fine.

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. It makes no difference.. either can plug into the wall or the other unit.. ends up much the same.

4 replies

Jul 28, 2015 5:39 AM in response to Simon S

As LaPastenague notes, it would be better wiring practice to have the new AirPort Extremes connected directly to the wall Ethernet port and the Time Capsule(s) connected to a LAN port on the AirPort Extremes.

Why?

Let's say that you have the Time Capsule connected to the Ethernet wall port and the AirPort Extreme connected to the Time Capsule. If the Time Capsule has a connection problem.......so too will the AirPort Extreme, and all of the devices that connect to the AirPort Extreme will have a connection problem as well.

If the AirPort Extreme is connected to the Ethernet wall port, and the Time Capsule has a connection problem......the AirPort Extreme will continue to operate normally.

Jul 29, 2015 6:22 AM in response to Simon S

1/ plug Airport Extreme into the wall ethernet socket, with other end of Ethernet cable running to WAN port

Correct.....Ethernet cable connects from the wall port to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Extreme.

2/ plug Time Capsule into wall socket if possible, or into LAN port on Airport Extreme

Correct.....if you have a spare Ethernet wall port, you could connect the Time Capsule there.....or.....connect the Time Capsule to the AirPort Extreme. If you connect to the AirPort Extreme, the Ethernet cable will connect from a LAN <--> port on the Extreme to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule.

3/ turn off wireless on Time Capsule

Correct if the Time Capsule is located in close proximity to an AirPort Extreme. But, if you connect the Time Capsule to a wall port in a remote location.......and you need additional wireless coverage in that area.......you could use the Time Capsule to extend the wireless.

If you don't need the extra wireless coverage.....it would be best to turn off the wireless on the Time Capsule.

Setup two Time Capsules without WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.