Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weird font bug when asking for password

Hey,

since the last update I'm getting a weird font bug when its asking for my password when installing applications etc.

Anyone else is experiencing this?

http://i.imgur.com/HQ59wax.png

Greetings

Vinzenz

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 2:47 AM

4 replies

Jul 28, 2015 2:53 AM in response to farbexot

It's definitely a font issue. A Safe Mode boot deletes system caches that may help.

Top left corner of your screen click the Apple  > Shut Down.

After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button.

Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key. You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.

Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator.

Once you are in Safe Mode, go back to the Apple  menu. From the drop down menu click: Restart

About Safe Mode

Jul 28, 2015 6:14 AM in response to farbexot

Back up all data before proceeding.

First, if you installed the "San Francisco" font, remove it and restart. Otherwise, see below.

Launch the Font Book application and validate all fonts. You must select the fonts in order to validate them. See the built-in help and this support article for instructions. If Font Book finds any issues, resolve them.

Start up in safe mode to rebuild the font caches. Restart as usual and test.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t start in safe mode. In that case, ask for instructions.

If you still have problems, then from the Font Book menu bar, select

FileRestore Standard Fonts...

You'll be prompted to confirm, and then to enter your administrator login password.

Also note that if you deactivate or remove any built-in fonts, for instance by using a third-party font manager, the system may become unstable.

Weird font bug when asking for password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.