Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini Late 2009 white screen (Failed SSD Installation)

I installed a new samsung SSD. I bought an external enclosure to copy my current hard drive To the new one. When I switched the hard drives, I kept getting folder with a question mark. I switched back to the original hard drive and it booted fine. I inserted the Mac boot disc to install a fresh copy onto the new drive. i shut down my Mac after installation was done and swapped the drives again, still folder with question mark.

i could boot from the external enclosure but when I boot from there the fan doesn't work neither does the audio or cd drive. I saw i could boot from the bootcamp so I did but now I get a blank white screen on both hard drives. Cd drive does not accept any discs, no apple logo, no chime. I'm guessing it's stuck trying to search for the windows partition.

what are some suggestions?

Mac mini (Late 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 4:04 AM

5 replies

Jul 28, 2015 8:31 AM in response to BlueBlur15

What specific SSD?

Are there any firmware updates available for that SSD? Go to the manufacturer's support site.

For the most recent problem maybe you messed something up disseminating/reassembling the mac.

There is a temp sensor attached to the original drive.Did you move that to the SSD?

No audio is common since yo have to disconnect the audio cable to replace the HD.

You may have also disconnected the CD.

I replaced the HD in my late 2009 Mini and forgot to reattach the audio cable.

I later replaced the CD with a HD since the CD no longer worked. it would just spit out disks.

Review this video and see if you messed anything up

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/mac_mini_2009_hd/

Jul 29, 2015 7:29 AM in response to lllaass

thank you for the response

I followed the video step by step and yeah i overlooked one of the connections

when I turn it on there is a chime and the cd drive works now.

i Have another problem though. I'm getting the following message

"No Bootable Device -- Insert boot disk and press any key"

i take it it's because I last tried to boot into windows. I've tried holding down the C button to boot the mac installation disc, I held down the alt-option button so I could choose what drive to boot from, I've also tried to eject the disc by holding the left mouse button....nothing.

i Am using a wired PC keyboard not sure if that actually matters or not

Mac Mini Late 2009 white screen (Failed SSD Installation)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.