Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get sound in both left and right, getting only in left.

I recorded with PMW EX3 sony camera, with an external mic connected to only one channel out of the two in the camera. Its a single person's speech, which doesn't require two microphones. When I play in FCP X, only left speaker works. When I select the reverse stereo, only the right speaker works. How do I make it to work equally in both the speakers? Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 5:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 9:14 AM

Select the clip and then Audio > Channel Configuration. I guess it will show one channel (in blue) in the inspector and it will say "Stereo" . With the pull-down menu to the right of this change the setting to "Dual mono". One of the channels will be silent. Deactivate this channel by slicking on the tick. The remaining channel will now play on both speakers (a bit unintuitive - I had to check that the mono channel did indeed go to both speakers). The help file at:

http://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/mac/10.1/#verc1fab5f6

doesn't really make this clear.

Geoff.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2015 9:14 AM in response to success1975

Select the clip and then Audio > Channel Configuration. I guess it will show one channel (in blue) in the inspector and it will say "Stereo" . With the pull-down menu to the right of this change the setting to "Dual mono". One of the channels will be silent. Deactivate this channel by slicking on the tick. The remaining channel will now play on both speakers (a bit unintuitive - I had to check that the mono channel did indeed go to both speakers). The help file at:

http://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/mac/10.1/#verc1fab5f6

doesn't really make this clear.

Geoff.

Jul 29, 2015 11:04 PM in response to GeeD

Thanks for the reply.

I am afraid to change the single channel stereo to dual mono, thinking dual mono may have lesser quality of sound. Technically I would like to confirm whether the quality of dual mono is going to be lesser than the single channel stereo.

I don't want to loose the quality of the sound, at any cost, since its a professional speech recording.

Also I would like to know whether there is a possibility of duplicating the left stereo sound channel to the right channel, so that the sound continue to be in stereo and also its heard on both the speakers.

Thankyou

Jul 30, 2015 1:34 AM in response to success1975

"dual mono may have lesser quality of sound"

Why would this be? It is merely duplicating the left channel to play also on the right. Do a comparison test, export it and check which you like best.

"Also I would like to know whether there is a possibility of duplicating the left stereo sound channel to the right channel, so that the sound continue to be in stereo and also its heard on both the speakers."

This must be exactly what dual mono is doing after all FCP only has one channel to play with. It won't be stereo since both left and right channels are identical.

Geoff.

Jul 30, 2015 1:53 AM in response to Alchroma

Good Point.

If the 'silent' channel actually has some noise on it for some reason then you may get slightly better results if you deactivate that channel after selecting double mono as I indicated in my first post. I am assuming that dual mono is mixing the two channels in equal parts when both channels are active. (I wish I could find documentation that says clearly what these options are doing rather than having to make intelligent guesses).

Geoff.

How to get sound in both left and right, getting only in left.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.