Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

stars assigned by iTunes???

Evidently, iTunes can assign stars to songs. I would like to know how to remove these unwanted stars and to keep them from returning. Alternatively, I would like to know how to distinguish stars I assign from those that iTunes assigns in defining a Smart Playlist.

iTunes help seems to have almost nothing to say about these stars assigned by iTunes.

I am running iTunes 12.2.1.16 on a newish MacBook Pro 15" with OS X 10.10.4.

The context here is that I have a Smart Playlist consisting of all songs with a rating of 1 to 5 stars. I want that to mean my rating, not a rating given by iTunes.

Thanks in advance for replies!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 7:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 10:59 AM

Jim, I think we're all seeing this, and I haven't found any way to turn this feature off. (It does seem to be a feature and not a bug.) The only real solution, I guess, is to be super-diligent about rating everything.

I'm almost embarrassed to tell you my workaround because it is so crude. After losing all my ratings in a library meltdown several years ago, I got into the habit of "hard-writing" ratings into the music files. I do this by having smart playlists for every rating level, selecting all tracks, and writing the corresponding rating (e.g. "5stars") into the Description field, which I don't use for anything else. Thus if my star ratings get messed up again, I can recover them, and I can also make smart playlists using the rule: Description > contains > 5stars ... or whatever. I don't doubt there's a more elegant solution somewhere.

Edited to add: I should note that I use Doug's "Multi-Item Edit" applescript for this, as it makes the Description field available for batch editing. You can do much the same within iTunes but there's a smaller number of fields available, like Grouping and Comments, which I use for other purposes.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2015 10:59 AM in response to Jim Vance

Jim, I think we're all seeing this, and I haven't found any way to turn this feature off. (It does seem to be a feature and not a bug.) The only real solution, I guess, is to be super-diligent about rating everything.

I'm almost embarrassed to tell you my workaround because it is so crude. After losing all my ratings in a library meltdown several years ago, I got into the habit of "hard-writing" ratings into the music files. I do this by having smart playlists for every rating level, selecting all tracks, and writing the corresponding rating (e.g. "5stars") into the Description field, which I don't use for anything else. Thus if my star ratings get messed up again, I can recover them, and I can also make smart playlists using the rule: Description > contains > 5stars ... or whatever. I don't doubt there's a more elegant solution somewhere.

Edited to add: I should note that I use Doug's "Multi-Item Edit" applescript for this, as it makes the Description field available for batch editing. You can do much the same within iTunes but there's a smaller number of fields available, like Grouping and Comments, which I use for other purposes.

stars assigned by iTunes???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.