Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

impossible to boot a new hair drive

hello, I've been trying to substitute my old 1tb HD with a new samsung M9T for two weeks now with out any luck. Its the second time i upgrade my HD , 4 years ago I've went form 250gb to 1Tb and the process was very easy, i used Carbon Copy Cloner. after few tries it all went smooth, this time its different..009

i have a macbook unibody late 2009 white, with 8Gb ram, a non functioning dvd, 2.6Ghz intel core 2 duo

here is the story:

• realised i was running out of space (once more!! 🙂 )
  • ordered a new Samsung M9T from eBay
  • backed up all my data on to a 4tb external HD for precoution
  • formatted the new HD to Extended Journaled BUT the HD was making some clicking noise but i went on, (not failing clicking noise, more like one every once in a while)
  • tried with CCC (carbon Copy Cloner) several time but the click kept unmounting, it was driving me crazy
  • the after lots of internet search on why this could be happening i changed the old USB cord to my goPro USB (which is top notch USB3) and it all start running much better, no more unmounting!!! hooray!!
  • main while searching on the web for explanation i verified my main HD and the message at the end said something like, hard drive corrupted, back up as many file as possible and format
  • i've re formated the new M9T several time but nothing.
  • so i've returned the M9T to the seller and bought a new one from a different one
  • here i am now with the new one, it doesn't make any click noise unless is being formatted ( normally it make one click at some point during the formatting with i believe sounds fine)
  • i formatted the New M9T again to extended Journaled and started with carbon copy but the process stops because the disk unmount during the process
  • so i tried another way
  • i've downloaded yosemite install pack and install it on a new M9T by clicking on the installation icon, then it automatically restart and started to follow setup steps
  • i got asked if i wanted to migrate datas from a time machine, i said yes and i selected all my stuff (945Gb of data)
  • i let the computer run all night and in the morning the process was finished
  • i restarted the computer, went outside to smoke a cigarette and when i came back the computer was shut off
  • so i tried again to start it, it would load till a certain point and cut off the power
  • i then restarted the Mac on the old internal HD
  • reformatted the new M9T and install once again Yosemite but this time i only imported system file (something less than 1Mb)
  • but once again once i try to boot the system the power cuts off during the process
  • i verified the New M9t with DU (disk utility) and there were some errors, so i repaired it successfully and restarted the system with the new M9T startup
  • same again, grey screen, the apple and charging bat till 40% the cut off power

WHAT THE ****????

Im trying as I'm writing this call for help to install a bootable copy of Yosemite on a memory stick and try to install yosemite from there.

i have a feeling my old HD is somehow responsible for all this mess with its corruption but i might be wrong!!

all i want to do now its to just have a new yosemite running on my new 2TB HD and then from there hopefully ill be able to import all my applications and file using time machine (945GB of it eeeeeek!!)

do you have any suggestion?

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), null

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 8:36 AM

20 replies

Jul 28, 2015 11:14 AM in response to RoXdwa

....ordered a new Samsung M9T from eBay....

why did you not buy directly from the supplier? you can get your money back, there must be a reason why it is on ebay.

.... BUT the HD was making some clicking noise but i went on.....

this normally means no good.

.....i have a feeling my old HD is somehow responsible for all this mess...

nonsense, it worked quite well.

Are you sure you did not install any "help", "optimize", "guard", and so on software from Samsung, IF, uninstall it.

But the clicking noise is very disturbing: normally it means no-go-away problems.

Go for another solution, and clean some large files/libraries from your disk.

Jul 29, 2015 5:54 AM in response to Csound1

Csound1:

the M9T its an internal hard drive, BUT ive been using a sata to usb connection like if it was in enclosure

OGELTHORPE

during this all process the original HD had never left the inside of my macbook.

ill try what you said but i have a feeling i've already done that with out any luck.... ill keep you posted!! thank you!!:)

LexSchellings:
the first M9T i bought came in a non sealed bag as described on ebay, the seller seamed legit tho, sold more than 100 itens.
but after some funny clicking ( i think they were due to poor usb cable ) i sent it back and bought a new M9T at a dearer price that camed factory sealed.

Clicking noise has gone away, i'm familiar to failing clicking noise i dont think it was that.

How do i clean library without compromising it?

UPDATE

so using a ricovery disk that appeared by pressing the option key at the time i managed to install Yosemite on the new M9T connected via usb to the macbook, all good until the last very part were the "setting up your mac" spinning wheel comes out ( gray one, with the profile of a mac on top in gray)

It got stuck there for a whole 12 hours. i triede the sleep button and i brought it back from sleep to but no moving forward so hold the power button down and reset.

the gray apple with the loading bar took a while and when it reached 40% it cut off power

THEN

i restarted using the option key to select booting disk, to my surprise the "untitled" drive had change name to something i really regret not writing down now.... i used it and magically after going trough the setting up of your mac again it all worked!!!(FYI "HD" is my old drive and "untitled" is the new M9T)

i thought i was done, so i restarted the system and again 40% in the gray apple at start it crushed.

i used the booting option again and the disk had change name back to "untitled" ( i dont remeber what it said the time before, i really wish i did wrote that down.. silly me).

so nothing no luck, im using disk utility and there are heaps of permission error with in printer/.... and some other one, once i get home from work ill post some pictures.

this is so odd.

i've read on other post that older macs cannot cope with the speed of the 2tb... but then some folk has said its running this M9T on his older version of macbook successfully....

ALSO

the harddrive works fine as an external via USB

and the firm were according to samsung its up to date.....

hmm... the mystery goes on

Jul 29, 2015 7:55 AM in response to RoXdwa

Although you have enough very qualified help already, I mingle in again:

(you have said that the M9T works quite well when used as an external only).

- your 3Gb/s Sata connector inside cannot be a problem for the 6Gb/s M9T.

- Make sure that the M9T externally connected to USB has enough power, it may be borderline amperage that your macbook delivers: the external as a startup disk uses more power than as just an external disk. Make sure that you have a good quality Sata-to-USB cable externally and it should be a Sata-to-USB 2 not USB3.

- 2TB can not be a problem for the Mac.

- it is not too difficult to replace the internal Sata cable as Csound proposes.

- reformat the M9T when external with DiskUtility FROM THE PARTITION TAB: set 1 partition, GUID Partition Table, Mac OS Extended (Journaled) to make sure that the OSX installer finds a correct format. Then reinstall OSX after checking the power availablility (when the M9T has a separate power connection, use it !)

Lex

(Hi Ogel and C)

impossible to boot a new hair drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.