Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In Startup Preferences, why can't I switch users?

How Frustrating! (Maybe you wonder, "What now, Bob?")

In System Preferences, I have several Users. I created a new user to try to install TechTool Pro v8.0.2. TechTool Pro was written by Micromat, a company that I _used_ to like. (When I tried to boot from its eDrive, my iMac froze: Boo!)

So at the suggestion of a person at Micromat, I created a new account.

But I find that I CANNOT BOOT from that account. Dumbly & at-once after I re-lock the User Preferences window, my iMac highlights the older account.

Please help! Thank you.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), 4 GB of RAM

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 9:05 AM

9 replies

Aug 5, 2015 8:45 AM in response to markwmsn

To answer your _4_ questions, I write these:

What do you mean by "boot from that account"?

- I mean, please understand, "Have that account active _both_ At & After start-up."

You cannot log into that account right after booting?

- No, sadly.

Your Mac auto-logs into an older account?

-No, my iMac sit there dumbly, with a Blank Screen.

Lastly,

You cannot use Fast User Switching to get to the new account?

I do not know. What is Fast User Switching, please?

Any _other_ ideas? I thank you, markwmsn. :-), still.

Aug 5, 2015 12:45 PM in response to Bob Novy

To me, "active at startup" could mean (1) auto-logged in at startup or (2) available for selection at startup. Which do you mean?

[Side note: The situation becomes more complicated if your Mac has FileVault active. Is FileVault active? You can check in the FileVault tab of the Security & Privacy panel of System Preferences.]

Similarly, "active after startup" could mean (1) available for selection after another user has logged out and the computer has returned to the login window or (2) available for Fast Use Switching selection. I'm assuming you mean the former, since you didn't recognize "Fast Use Switching"; more below.

If your Mac is "sit[ting] there dumbly, with a Blank Screen" then probably something else is going wrong. Merely having multiple user accounts on the computer should not cause that. All of the Macs in our household have multiple user accounts.

Fast User Switching (FUS) is a way of switching from one user account to another quickly. With one account active, you pull down a menu and select another account to make active. The first account stays in the background. detached from the screen and keyboard, while the second account comes to the foreground. FUS is controlled by a checkbox (}Show fast user switching menu as") and associated pulldown menu in the Login Options portion of the Users & Groups panel of System Preferences.

Aug 12, 2015 2:22 PM in response to markwmsn

I have an account that I named, eDrive, to Install. When I un-lock Users & Groups, then I select “eDrive, to Install” [Admin].

But when I re-lock Users & Groups again, my iMac at-once switches to my [Current User] [Admin]. Why? (I have Fun by attributing this poor behavior to, Made in China.)

Any _other_ ideas? I thank you, markwmsn. :-), still.

Aug 12, 2015 2:59 PM in response to Bob Novy

Bob Novy wrote:

But when I re-lock Users & Groups again, my iMac at-once switches to my [Current User] [Admin]. Why?

The account selected in Users & Groups just determines which account you are changing, not what account will be used at the next startup.

The selection of the user just after startup is determined in (more or less) the following way:

* If System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Options > Automatic login is set to an account, that account should log in automatically at startup.

* If System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Options > Automatic login is set to "Off", then you must choose an account manually at startup.

The setting of "Display login window as" on the same panel determines how you choose:

>> "List of users" displays icons and names of the valid users

>> "Name and password" requires that you type that information into text fields.

If that still doesn't match what you are observing, let's go back to my side note from earlier (emphasis added):

"[Side note: The situation becomes more complicated if your Mac has FileVault active. Is FileVault active? You can check in the FileVault tab of the Security & Privacy panel of System Preferences.]"

Check System Preferences > FileVault. If it is enabled, then your system must go through an unlocking process at startup before normal users can log in. The unlocking process must be started by logging in an administrator or a normal user enabled for this on the FileVault panel. [I'm going by the help on this.]

In Startup Preferences, why can't I switch users?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.