Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no region in master track

I want to master my song in logic pro x, but when I click Track > Show Master track, the master track is shown, but there is no region in the master track. Here's a screenshot. What am I doing wrong here?

Here is a screen shot User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 8:30 AM

4 replies

Jul 28, 2015 4:26 PM in response to jannifroma

Question, you have a Channel Strip using the Surround Output instead of the Stereo Out?

The Master Track Command in the Tracks Menu only appears, when you have a Surround routing in your Project. If all Channel Strips are routed to a Stereo Output, then the Track Menu displays the "Show/Hide Output Track" command instead of "Show/Hide Master Track". The Key Command stays the same "Shift+command+M"

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

This command toggles the visibility of the Track that is assigned to the Output Channel Strip or Master Channel Strip.

See my other post in this thread about the functionality of that Track.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Jul 28, 2015 4:42 PM in response to Data Stream Studio

Data Stream Studio wrote:

The master track in logic has nothing to do with mastering a song. It is like a "conductor" track to put in tempo and signature changes etc.

Sorry, but I must correct you. The Master Track has nothing to do with Tempo or Signature Changes. It is just the Track that is assigned to the Master Channel Strip. Besides the Mute, Track Protect and Volume controls (the same as Volume Slider on the Control Bar), it has no other controls besides the Automation controls (if Automation View is enabled). This is actually the main reason why you want to make the Master Track visible, to create/edit Track Automation for the Master Track (Region Automation can be selected but doesn't work, because you can't create MIDI Regions on that Track Lane)

User uploaded file

As I mentioned in my other response, this Master Track is only visible when (at least one) Channel Strip is routed to Surround. Otherwise, the command toggles the visibility of the Output Track (which is assigned to the Output Channel Strip). The purpose, however, is similar, mainly to use it for automation.

BTW, you can make the Output Track or the Master Track visible in the Tracks List by control+clicking on the Master Channel Strip or Output Channel Strip and select the "Create Track" command (control+T)

These little details are often not mentioned in Logic manuals and even in Apple's Logic Documentation. However, like so many omitted topics, I cover all of them in my Logic books "Logic Pro X - How it Works" and "Logic Pro X - The Details", because, sooner or later they become important and can cause confusion if a user is not aware of that.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

no region in master track

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.