Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I Install My Passport Wireless BU HD to my MAC. Step by step please.

I just bought a brand-new Western Digital my passport wireless and need to install it on my Mac. Please provide detailed step-by-step instructions, that would be wonderful!

Very respectively

Chris

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 10:29 AM

7 replies

Jul 28, 2015 11:23 AM in response to cmr287

If you want to install it wirelessly, then follow the directions in your user manual, starting at page 7 and/or 18:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705118.pdf

Before using, make sure it is formatted for Mac using Disk Utility (in your Applications > Utilities folder): Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and, in the Partition tab under Option: GUID Partition Scheme.

If you want to use it with the included USB cable, then plug it into your Macbook Pro and use Disk Utility to format it.

FWIW, it is best to have an empty external hard drive when using it for backups; however, for your wireless setup you need to have that WD software on it (I guess). And, backups are more reliable when done via a cable rather than wirelessly (which also can be extremely slow).

Jul 28, 2015 11:38 AM in response to lllaass

I talked to the tech support at WD, (1-855-559-3733) They said it needs to chard for 6-8 hours right out of the box. Once it is charged:

1. type 192.168.60.1 into a blank address bar and hit enter.
  2. go into configuration and it should help you through set up.

So I have done this and still not working is why I am turning to the community.

I have done my home work and asked the company reps which is why I am turning to the community.

Jul 28, 2015 11:54 AM in response to cmr287

I went through a similar decision process on choosing an external drive for backups and storage. I think I initially purchased the same drive as you. I can't say for sure though, but do some research on the way this drive connects wirelessly. If it's the same as the one I purchased, the method used is not optimal and will be slower than dirt when backing up large files. The reviews I read also said it was not reliable. I ended up returning it and getting a 2TB slim Seagate that I can just mount to my computer when I'm not mobile. Just wanted to throw it out there for consideration.

Jul 28, 2015 1:29 PM in response to cmr287

Just off the phone with another tech from WD at the phone number above. They say, you need to charge the unit after purchase for at minimum of 8 hours, The light will turn from Red to Green to Blue. Once the light is a constant Blue it will turn white and the wireless light will turn Blue. Once it is complete and both are lit, the BU HD is ready to be installed! See above reply to install.

I'll attempt to install later on tonight.

V/R

Chris

How do I Install My Passport Wireless BU HD to my MAC. Step by step please.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.