Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to erase all data from a hard Drive with OS 10.5.8 without an external disk?

The CD that I have is the one that came with the computer that I bought--OS 10.5.2. I cannot reinstall the OS when the current one is newer then the CD. I need to erase the data. Holding the Command-R key while restarting produces no results.

HELP!

iMac (20-inch Early 2008), Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 8:23 AM

2 replies

Jul 28, 2015 9:59 AM in response to DekelRed

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at the top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*

3. Click the Erase tab.

4. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

5. Select your Mac OS X volume.

6. Highlight the drive, select Partition Tab, then Format type... MacOS Extended Journalled, select the Security Options button, choose Zero Out Data, Erase, one pass..

How to erase all data from a hard Drive with OS 10.5.8 without an external disk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.