Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get imac running OS X 10.6.8 to see 3TB Time Capsule

I have not been able to get my iMac running Mac SX 10.6.8 to see my Time Capsule for back up. I get a message saying there's a newer version of AirPort Utility but when Software Update runs, the it says, "No updates available".

I'm assuming that since I'm running an older vers. of OSX that is what is stopping this iMac from "seeing" the new time capsule? It doesn't make sense however since I also have an older MacBook Pro also running OSX 10.6.8 and it's backing up just fine.... anyone have an clues here?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iPhone 5, MacBookPro 13", Mac Mini

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 8:45 AM

6 replies

Jul 28, 2015 8:44 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I select "Time Machine" from System Prefs.

Get the window with "Select Backup Disk..."

That opens another dialog box with nothing showing as an available drive for backup (since I'm trying to use my 3TB Time Capsule I don't have a firewire or usb HD connect to the iMac)

If I click the only active "button" under the window besides "Cancel" which is "Set Up TIme Capsule"

That then launches "Airport Utility" (Version 5.4.2 (542.23)

That has an overlaid dialog box stating "A newer version (5.6.1) of AIrport Utility is available.

"click update to launch Software Update and quit AirPort Utility" The 2 option buttons are "Cancel" and Update....

Clicking "update opens the usual Software Update app... it scans and then tells me there "Your software is up to date." Software update doesn't have any new software for your computer at this time. A "Quit" button is the only available option.

I know the Time Capsule is recognized by this iMac since I'm online using the WiFi of it... and it's shows up in the System Profiler that it's there and the AirPort Icon in the upper right corner of the Menu Bar shows full signal and that I'm indeed connected to the the wifi of the 3 TB Time Capsule

This IMac is running OSX 10.6.8 just like my 2009 MacBook Pro which is also using the same wift and backing up to the Time Machine since I bought it and installed it a few months ago

Jul 28, 2015 8:56 PM in response to johnbezjian

Please power off your entire network.....all devices.....in any order that you wish

Wait a minute

Start the modem first, and let it run a full minute at least

Start the next device that connects to the modem.....which might be your Time Capsule....and let it run a full minute

Keep starting devices one at a time about a minute apart until the entire network is powered back up

Try to set up Time Machine again

If the Time Capsule drive will not appear.......if possible......connect an Ethernet cable from your Mac to one of the LAN <--> ports on the Time Capsule to see if you can set up Time Machine that way.

Jul 29, 2015 8:59 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob, thanks so much for your help. I decided to not restart the Modem first since it seemed functional with all devices, iPhones, iPads, Macs etc so I started with turning off the Time Capsule and all other computers. After restarting Time Capsule, everything back up, the MacBook Pro saw the Wifi as well as the Time Capsule as it's Time Machine back up drive.

I then started the iMac and when going to the Time Machine control panel the Time Capsule was now present and able to be selected as the back up disk for the iMac. It's currently backing up for the first time as I'm typing this response to you.

Thanks again for the help!!!!

Can't get imac running OS X 10.6.8 to see 3TB Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.