Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Convert a Video to Play in Photos App on Mac

New Photos App in Yosemite on Mac not playing video. It gives me an screen that says "CANNOT PLAY FILE - Photos cannot play this video. Do You Want To Try Opening it in QuickTime Player"

User uploaded file

I then CAN open and play the video in Quicktime. Once I get into Quicktime, how do I need to convert the file so it will play in Photos App?

As you can tell in my screen shots. Quicktime gives me several options to export the file:

480p

ipad, iPhone, iPod touch & Apple TV,

itunes

User uploaded file

What of the above options should I select to make it work in Photos App?.

Is there a way to convert the existing saved file in Photos App or will I be forced to delete the current Photos video that won't play and import the new converted video file?

OR IS THERE A BETTER WAY TO COMPLETE THIS TASK?

Please help!!!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), Photos and Quicktime

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 9:15 AM

3 replies

Oct 21, 2015 6:50 PM in response to 4Photos

Actually, this happened to me too that some older videos would not play in Photos.

I opened each of those videos outside Photos in Quicktime 10. It converted the files - and added a (converted) to the file name. When I dragged those into Photos, they played fine.

I should guess you can do this from inside Photos too when it asks you to open them with Quicktime - though I don't know, haven't tried.

How to Convert a Video to Play in Photos App on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.