Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow USB card reader

I have a Rosewill USB RDCR-11002 card reader and when I try to transfer photos with both my Transcend 800x 32GB and Transcend 16GB 400x cards my Mac Mini gives one of two errors:

The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “IMG_9596.CR2” can’t be read or written. (Error code -36)

It says it's a specific Raw file in this example but I can transfer a random folder, for instance a folder of .jpg photos and get the same error. And sometimes the data will transfer but will give a card didn't eject properly error immediately after or during the transfer.

I went to Rosewills site for maybe a firmware update to the card reader and there doesn't appear to be anything available. I did send an email about the issue.

I've noticed that the transfer has become very slow and laggy lately also. I use to be to transfer data from the card very fast. The progress bar would zip across.

I have a 2012 Mac Mini with 10.10.4

Any ideas whats going on? I can order a different card reader but wanted to make sure there wasn't anything going on with the Mini.

Thanks

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 10:28 AM

5 replies

Jul 28, 2015 2:09 PM in response to lllaass

I tried a 16gb 3.0 USB thumb drive and it transferred around 700MB in about 10 seconds.

I've tried the resets and it may help some the very first time I try to copy something over. But then it's back to the slow transfer and errors.

I try the resets again.

Thank you

edit: Done the resets and had the error code the first time I tried.

Slow USB card reader

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.