Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PS3 Gamepad Controller Not Recognized Via Bluetooth In Yosemite

I have been trying to wirelessly connect my Sony PS3 gamepad controller (CECHZC2U) to my Mac Mini (2012 server) running OS X 10.10.4 with no luck.

I have followed the Yosemite pairing instructions many, many times. I have reset the controller many, many times.

I have successfully paired this controller many times on other macs with different operating systems.

I have successfully paired this controller many times on this mac before upgrading to Yosemite.

The controller is fully charged.

The controller operates correctly when connected via USB cable.

I have followed Apple's Bluetooth Connection Issues troubleshooting.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203646

I have reset the Mac SMC multiple times.

http://osxdaily.com/2010/03/24/when-and-how-to-reset-your-mac-system-management- controller-smc/

I have reset the PRAM, multiple times.

http://osxdaily.com/2010/11/15/reset-pram-mac/

I have deleted ~/library/preference/com.apple.bluetooth.plist

When pairing instructions are followed, the controller appears in the Bluetooth MENU as "PLAYSTATION(R)3 CONTROLLER", and appears in About This Mac/System Report/Bluetooth but does NOT appear in the Bluetooth System Preferences window.

Even though the controller appears in the Bluetooth menu, its inputs are not recognized by the system at all.

Any insight into what's going on and how to fix it? This has been a problem since upgrading to OS X 10.10.x. None of the several updates have rectified the issue.

I use my gamepad heavily on my mac and this is extraordinarily frustrating. If this is a functionality Apple has removed on purpose it would be nice to know that.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 8:52 AM

6 replies

Jul 28, 2015 3:25 PM in response to Barry Hemphill

Come on, you think I should contact Sony about how a controller from a previous generation of their gaming consoles connects fine to a macintosh via Bluetooth but yet doesn't show up in the Bluetooth preferences panel, given a very specific version of that computer's OS?

That's what we call a "non-starter".

I've run in to many dead-ends on this issue, and they all point towards a driver being removed from Apple's bluetooth protocol. See this thread (excerpt below).

I'm fairly certain Apple (accidentally or on purpose?) removed support for bluetooth pairing for the PS3 controller from it's IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext. There are a bunch of system logs which point to this when the controller is trying to connect to Yosemite.

I am hoping somebody can shed some light on what exactly has happened to PS3 controller bluetooth support in OSX 10.10.x (yosemite). I'm pretty sure it's not Sony.

Jul 28, 2015 4:26 PM in response to Barry Hemphill

That's quite unhelpful and unnecessarily condescending. I was just trying to be comprehensive in presenting what I have found so far.

I'm not looking for a diagnosis of "a previous generation of gaming consoles", I am looking for help with a common bluetooth device that heretofore connected to OS X just fine but now, after a system update, no longer does.

I have pursued the details on this as far as I am able, and was hoping to find somebody here who could help me troubleshoot further, not blithely shovel me off with "go ask Sony".

If anybody else has any advice about this particular situation, I would welcome your input.

Sep 6, 2015 3:45 PM in response to SeattleMacUser

Hey i was just googling the same issue (connection PS3 controller to OS X Yosemite), it seemed like my PS3 controller would not show up in the bluetooth peripherals list. BUT -- it worked.

I'm not exactly sure how I did it, but the 4 flashing red lights went off, and I thought the controller turned off, but it just meant that it connected! I only found out by fluke when i tried to play a game in OpenEMU, and i went into the settings to map the controller buttons. I noticed it allowed me to select a "Sony Sixaxis Wireless Controller" !!! Sure enough when I pressed the buttons on the controller, OpenEMU was recognizing the button presses and mapping them accordingly!

So even though the controller doesnt show up in the Bluetooth menu, just go try using it in whatever app/game you want to use it in, and it might actually show up 🙂

Oct 3, 2016 7:07 AM in response to Gmgq

I have the same issue with Sierra

I get some strange messages to type a 6 digit code in the controller and press enter !

User uploaded file

Then is says it is connected, but the lights on the controller are still flashing, and the controller is not active.

User uploaded file

It works when I have the USB cable connected, just not via bluetooth.

Any ideas? All the "how to's" I have found show different bluetooth dialogues.

Thanks

PS3 Gamepad Controller Not Recognized Via Bluetooth In Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.