Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Closed Caption ?s

Hi,

I know nothing about closed captions and not able to find much about it online.

Can anyone direct me to the best Closed Caption for features guidelines link? Something in terms of industry standards for features.

To ask some questions here:

1. Will the scc and srt CC files I receive from my close captionist be sufficient for my DVD as well?

2. I have 30 minutes of news footage in our project with text above and below the video frame, thus within title safe. What do you recommend relative to where the Closed caption would go? If put above or below the video frame it will be right on top of the graphic text. If the only option is below the frame in title safe the CC would need a black background around it. If I use a black background for the 30 minutes of news footage, for the sake of unity should I use the background throughout the entire movie? Are backgounds used in closed captions for movies?

3. Our closed caption transcription is strictly dialogue. Is there anything else that needs to be included other than dialogue?

Thanks for your help!

joseph

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 6:10 PM

I don't have that much CC experience. But can recommendthis forum on the subject.

Russ

2 replies

Jul 29, 2015 8:36 AM in response to Russ H

I highly recommend hiring out to a competent caption service. Open captions closed captions, second language subtitles...they all have different specs and not many of them are standardized and your clients will have different and likely uncommunicated expectations than you do.

The cost of experimenting and the innumerable failures and tight schedules are not worth learning closed captioning. You can figure out a lot of the stylization, conventions, and ADA requirements by paying experts to do this for you. Then take the time to figure it out.

Closed Caption ?s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.