Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to add songs to an existing playlist in iTunes 12?

How do I ADD songs to an existing playlist in iTunes 12?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 10GB RAM

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 12:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 9:38 AM

Hey Scott Wilson Design Studio,

To add more songs to an existing playlist, use the steps on this help page - Create a playlist - iTunes Help

Specifically -

Edit a playlist

Select the playlist and do any of the following:

Add items: Click Add To User uploaded file above the playlist, and drag items to the playlist.

And

Quickly add an item to a playlist

1. From anywhere in your iTunes library, begin dragging the item (or items) you want to add.

A pane with a list of playlists appears on the left.

2. Drag the item to a playlist in the list.

User uploaded file

Tip: You can also move the pointer over an item, click User uploaded file, choose Add To, and click a playlist.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Happy computing.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2015 9:38 AM in response to Scott Wilson Design Studio

Hey Scott Wilson Design Studio,

To add more songs to an existing playlist, use the steps on this help page - Create a playlist - iTunes Help

Specifically -

Edit a playlist

Select the playlist and do any of the following:

Add items: Click Add To User uploaded file above the playlist, and drag items to the playlist.

And

Quickly add an item to a playlist

1. From anywhere in your iTunes library, begin dragging the item (or items) you want to add.

A pane with a list of playlists appears on the left.

2. Drag the item to a playlist in the list.

User uploaded file

Tip: You can also move the pointer over an item, click User uploaded file, choose Add To, and click a playlist.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Happy computing.

Jul 30, 2015 10:36 AM in response to Scott Wilson Design Studio

If you have any trouble dragging a song into a list, it's likely because you're dealing with a smart playlist -- the ones with a gear symbol beside them. You can't add songs manually to this kind of list. But you can look at the rules that define the list by selecting it and then clicking "Edit Playlist" in the upper right of playlist pane.

For example, there's a list called 90's Music that apparently came pre-installed with iTunes, and the main rule is Year > is in the range > 1990 to 1999. So you can add a song to this list by selecting the song, then File > Get Info, and typing a date within this range into the Year field.

Jul 30, 2015 2:39 PM in response to richard grant

richard,

Good point. However, I was not dragging to a smart playlist, just a standard-issue playlist. I should also note that I am trying to drag from a CD in my DVD drive (outside iTunes) into a playlist in iTunes. I have done this thousands of times in previous versions, but now it seems iTunes will only allow moving songs around within my iTunes music library, but try to add songs from a CD to an existing iTunes playlist, and you will see my problem. Unless, of course, I am missing something really obvious which does happen...

Thanks,

Scott

How to add songs to an existing playlist in iTunes 12?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.