Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preferences pane for printer not updating

I just replaced the Photoconductor on my Lexmark monochrome laser. reset the counter, and the printer says it is ok. If I go to a browser page that directly polls the printer, it also says the conductor is at 100%. These items work and are correct.

However, my print dialogues say that the conductor needs replacement as does the preferences pane for the printer showing at less than 1%.

I have started/restarted the printer and Mac several times but the Mac does not see that the conductor has been replaced.

Lexmark would not be of assistance as everything they provide shows the correct information. Just the Mac in preferences and print dialogues are not updating.

Mac Pro (Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), 2.8 GHz Quad, 6 GB ram, 4-1TB drive

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 11:21 AM

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions.

Any devices that previously appeared in your Printer List and Fax List will need to be added again after resetting the printing system.

Resetting the printing system in Mac OS X 10.5.x+++

1. To use the Reset Printing System feature in Mac OS X 10.5.x, follow these steps:

2. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.

3. Choose Print & Fax from the View menu.

4. Control-click on list of printers on the left side of the window, then choose "Reset printing system" from the contextual menu. If you don't see a list of printers, Control-click on the text "Click + to add a printer or fax" and select "Reset printing system..." 

As an alternative, if you currently have one or more printers listed, you can Option-click the "-" (Remove printer) button.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1341

Reboot.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2015 11:21 AM in response to Derryl S

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions.

Any devices that previously appeared in your Printer List and Fax List will need to be added again after resetting the printing system.

Resetting the printing system in Mac OS X 10.5.x+++

1. To use the Reset Printing System feature in Mac OS X 10.5.x, follow these steps:

2. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.

3. Choose Print & Fax from the View menu.

4. Control-click on list of printers on the left side of the window, then choose "Reset printing system" from the contextual menu. If you don't see a list of printers, Control-click on the text "Click + to add a printer or fax" and select "Reset printing system..." 

As an alternative, if you currently have one or more printers listed, you can Option-click the "-" (Remove printer) button.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1341

Reboot.

Preferences pane for printer not updating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.