Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2011 iMac 27 inch

Do I really have to replace the whole back of this machine at a cost of $650. just because the power on/off button/switch has short in it?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 27

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 11:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 11:47 AM

If it's an electrical issue, most likely yes but if it were me, I'd get more than one estimate.

5 replies

Jul 28, 2015 1:47 PM in response to twentyonetwentysouthmichiganavenue

The switch is integrated into the back. It is a costly repair. What i would do myself for a iMac out of warranty - find a way to replace/substitute the switch. The switch had a short cable that connects to the logic board. I would replace the switch - you have to basically take the whole thing apart to get to the switch. **** pop out the switch from the back attach a replacement push button switch to the cable connected - let it hung out the small hole and use it to turn the iMac on. Crazy i know but the rear panel plus labor would be just short of buying a new iMac.

Jul 28, 2015 2:50 PM in response to twentyonetwentysouthmichiganavenue

Acm001 has a very good point... out of warranty means you need not worry about "voiding" the warranty by working on it yourself. iFixit.com has very good how-tos, but it seems your imac is not specificallydealt with - I'll bet the 2009 may be close enough though > iMac Intel 27" EMC 2309 and 2374 Teardown - iFixit

User uploaded file

is VERY hard to get to...

COMPLETE teardown required, and I'm not sure you can yet see it

User uploaded file

Jul 28, 2015 4:02 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

This is what the button looks like. Not sure if its the exact model. You could pry the power button cover off the back and pull the switch out. It will break as its plastic but its not working anyway. It may be possible to attach a switch if the cable have some slack. Again as its out of warranty no real harm. Its totally up to you try a quick fix or spend $ lots of $. I would try and pry out the switch before doing the complete tear down. I'm an apple certified tech so its something I've done - the tear down - don't recommend if you don't have experience. You may cause more damage either way. You can try a local tech shop.

Late 2011 iMac 27 inch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.