Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Target Display Mode not working with mid-2011 iMac and 2012 Mac Pro (power mac)

So I am trying to use my mid-2011 21.7 in iMac as a display for my 2012 mac pro. I have read whole bunch of forums and support pages, and from what I can tell it should work but nothing happens when both are connected via thunderbolt and I press cmd-f2. I have also tried doing fn-cmd-f2 and nothing happens. I have rebooted both machines with no luck. Any idea what I am doing wrong here?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 12:11 PM

7 replies

Jul 28, 2015 2:23 PM in response to rkaufmann87

You're the one who is on this forum choosing to answer questions... Because you decided to answer mine, I assumed you knew a bit about the problem so I asked a follow up question. I simply asked if you knew, I never asked you to do anything for me.

Besides, your answer wasn't even correct. All iMacs 2011 and up can do target display mode as long as both devices have thunderbolt ports.

Jul 29, 2015 3:23 AM in response to aberckefeldt

aberckefeldt wrote:

....All iMacs 2011 and up can do target display mode as long as both devices have thunderbolt ports.

You just answered your own question. The 2012 MacPro has a display port

and not a Thunderbolt port. Thunderbolt iMacs can only work in Target Display

connected to a Thunderbolt equipped Mac. See table:

iMacs you can use
as a display

Cable
you need

Port you need
on your other Mac

iMac (27-inch Late 2009)

Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort

Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010)

Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort

Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt

iMac (Mid 2011)

Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt
iMac (Mid 2012 and later) Thunderbolt Thunderbolt

Aug 4, 2015 4:52 AM in response to aberckefeldt

Hello,

I had the same issue this week. And I have been using the 21 inch imac as a target display for at least 1 year now. But this week suddenly it stop working.

Just a background, a sales guy also told me that the 21 inch imac would not work, but it is incorrect as you can see in apple support pages.

I have contacted the support all things they have recommended it didn't work. So I did a bit more search and I solved it through reseting the SMC. To do this I had to do the following in my iMac:

-Shut it down

-unplug the power cord for 15 seconds

-Plug it back in and wait 5 seconds

-restart the iMac

After it was running the CMD+F2 worked again.

Hope it solves your issue as well.

Best regards

Target Display Mode not working with mid-2011 iMac and 2012 Mac Pro (power mac)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.