Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages going blank

I was having a problem where my incoming iMessages were coming through as phone numbers instead of contact names. Custom group names were still shown. I signed out and back into my messages account and the contact names were showing in the app again but incoming alerts are still showing up as phone numbers.

Now today, when I click on a conversation within the app it just goes blank. Even if I have been talking to this person for a while, no messages are showing up anymore on my computer.

I need fixes for both problems, it seems like they're connected anyways.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 2:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 10:39 AM

Long shot.

Do a backup.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/

com.apple.iChat.plist, com.apple.imagent.plist and com.apple.iChat.StatusMessages.plist. Move the .plists to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application and test. If it works okay, delete the plists from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plists to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2015 10:39 AM in response to bec_stev

Long shot.

Do a backup.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/

com.apple.iChat.plist, com.apple.imagent.plist and com.apple.iChat.StatusMessages.plist. Move the .plists to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application and test. If it works okay, delete the plists from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plists to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Jul 30, 2015 12:10 PM in response to bec_stev

HI,

Check your Contacts app on the Mac and wherever else you use it is syncing properly.

You may have to go to Contacts App > Preferences > Accounts and make sure only one Account is active.

User uploaded file

8:10 p.m. Thursday; July 30, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Messages going blank

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.