Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RODE NT1-A mic recognized but no sound from Garageband

I recently purchased a RODE NT1-A with hopes of recording however no sound is coming out. The RODE has a XLR cable what came with it, however to use it with my Mac I also bought a XLR cable to USB at a local Guitar Center. I'm using Garageband as my method of recording and editing audio, however when I try to record with the RODE as my input, there is no sound that comes out.

I've tried messing with the Audio MIDI setup, the Sound from System Preferences and the Preferences from Garageband's Audio/MIDI setup as well.

I have a OSX Yosemite Version 10.10.4 Mac

Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

If there is no solution for this, I am open to using a different method of recording, however just let me know because this has been driving me insane.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), RODE NT1-A Microphone

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 1:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 1:22 PM

You can not convert a balanced analog signal (XLR) to a digital signal with a bit of wire and some plugs. You need an interface, it should have a balanced microphone input on an XLR socket. The output should be USB. At least one of each of these.

9 replies

Jul 29, 2015 5:27 AM in response to cao_xiaoling

cao_xiaoling wrote:

I recently purchased a RODE NT1-A with hopes of recording however no sound is coming out. The RODE has a XLR cable what came with it, however to use it with my Mac I also bought a XLR cable to USB at a local Guitar Center. I'm using Garageband as my method of recording and editing audio, however when I try to record with the RODE as my input, there is no sound that comes out.

I've tried messing with the Audio MIDI setup, the Sound from System Preferences and the Preferences from Garageband's Audio/MIDI setup as well.

I have a OSX Yosemite Version 10.10.4 Mac

Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

If there is no solution for this, I am open to using a different method of recording, however just let me know because this has been driving me insane.

The NT1 is phantom powered, it needs 48 volts DC, you can't get that from a Mac, how do you intend powering this microphone?

RODE NT1-A mic recognized but no sound from Garageband

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.