Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

fake pdf attachment

Hi there,

I made a stupid stupid mistake: i was waiting for an express delivery from amazon so when I received an email from DHL I opened it. I also opened the attached pdf which linked me to a page asking me for my email, password and phone number... which I was a moron and filled in! I immediately recognised my mistake so contacted amazon and asked about it. I also immediately changed the password I provided (which I only for amazon and no other site).

So I have now changed all my passwords and contacted the bank to see if my account has been used. I also contacted apple support which advised me to install and run adwaremedic. The scan said my computer is clean but is there anything else i could do to make sure that my computer has not compromised?

I have also been looking for questions for other people on internet who might have had the same problem but I can't find something that shows a similar situation.

I would really appreciate your help!

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 11:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 11:56 AM

If any malware was installed, AdwareMedic not only would have located it i but removed it as well.

Changing your passwords and contacted your bank. That shold be sufficient.

We all make mistakes. Don't be too hard on yourself. Your post may save someone else from the same experience so that's a good thing.

11 replies

Jul 28, 2015 1:36 PM in response to LetLei

You have been told that "adwaremedic" would have detected any password-stealing malware that you installed. That is absolutely false, as the developer of the product would agree. The only kind of malware that the product purports to remove is mere adware, which injects ads into web pages. Even for that use it's unnecessary at best and should not be used. The advice you were given by an Apple employee was merely his or her personal opinion, not an official Apple Support solution, and it was wrong.

Jul 28, 2015 3:53 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks again. Do you think the computer might have been compromised and somehow the people to whom I provided the information could have access to my computer and gain information on other passwords? Should I back up all the data and get the whole system reinstalled to be on the safe side?

I really appreciate your help... i can't believe I was so stupid... but it was such a coincidence that I was waiting for the express delivery from amazon that i just didn't think 😟

Jul 28, 2015 5:38 PM in response to LetLei

LetLei wrote:

If i cannot trust adwaremedic, what would advise me to do?

Hello LetLei,

You can trust AdwareMedic. It is just that it is designed for adware only, not key loggers, virus, or other kinds of malware. Adware infections are quite common so if you think you might have one, feel free to download AdwareMedic and run it. It definitely won't hurt anything. Pretty much everyone else in the world thinks AdwareMedic is is the quickest, easiest, and safest way to remove adware.

According to what you have described, there is no reason to be worried - as long as you have changed your passwords. You will need to be extra careful from now on with e-mail and other internet activity. Your e-mail address is definitely in a database somewhere as a good potential victim. They may be able to track you from website to website.

In the future, always make sure that you are the one that initiated any dialog asking for personal information before you provide it. For example, if you get a pop-up telling you your Flash is out of date, close the dialog and quit Safari. Then go to the Adobe Flash site on your own and install the latest version. The same goes for any dialog that pops up unexpectedly. Always say no and double-check yourself.

<Edited by Host>

Jul 28, 2015 8:57 PM in response to etresoft

Hi there,

Thank you all for your support but I must admit I am getting lost in your discussion because as you realised by now I am not the most tech savvy... so I would appreciate your advise if I should be worried that my mac has been compromised and the scammers could have access to my computer and obtain other information. After all I did download the pdf file and opened it 😟 😟

Should I just have everything installed again, I mean, format the whole computer and install the OS X again? Linc Davis replied that shouldn't be necessary but what do other people think? I would really prefer to be safe than sorry.

fake pdf attachment

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.