Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

replacing fan in MacBook Pro [early 2011 model]

Hi All,

My early 2011 MacBook Pro has been making strange scratching noises and all evidence leads me to think the fan is the problem.

I want to replace it. I'm told it's not that difficult. The tricky bit seems to be sourcing a reliable replacement fan. Any ideas? I'm in the UK.

Thanks.

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 12:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 4:11 PM

Maybe Amazon UK ? They have a VeeCome replacement fan for about 8 pounds which may do the job fine, or HDE. Can't speak for reliability, but the price doesn't seem to be too bad. You may wish to give your local Appple place a quick ring, maybe they might be able to offer you a decent price for fan replacement. Oh, there are 2 fans, not just one, and you may wish to give the inside of your MacBook Pro a good dusting while you're poking around there.

having a spudger and small phillips screwdriver (maybe torx) is recommended. perhaps ifixit has a guide for this kind of thing

cheers !

John B

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2015 4:11 PM in response to beanwalls

Maybe Amazon UK ? They have a VeeCome replacement fan for about 8 pounds which may do the job fine, or HDE. Can't speak for reliability, but the price doesn't seem to be too bad. You may wish to give your local Appple place a quick ring, maybe they might be able to offer you a decent price for fan replacement. Oh, there are 2 fans, not just one, and you may wish to give the inside of your MacBook Pro a good dusting while you're poking around there.

having a spudger and small phillips screwdriver (maybe torx) is recommended. perhaps ifixit has a guide for this kind of thing

cheers !

John B

Jul 28, 2015 4:46 PM in response to Johnb-one

Thanks for getting back to me.

I saw a few options on Amazon UK but the reviews weren't very comforting! I assumed that Apple themselves would charge a fortune for what I'm told is a pretty easy job if you have the right part. You're right though, it might be worth checking with them.

There are two fans? I got the impression that was just for the 15" model or did I get that wrong?

replacing fan in MacBook Pro [early 2011 model]

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.