Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I add up columns in the spreadsheet?

The Sum function button gives ridiculous results. What should I click on or select? This is the most basic query and the answer must be somewhere in the Help but I can't find it.

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10), Safari 7.0

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 1:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 2:14 PM

Ewan,

Numbers can sum columns, no problem. You do have to make sure the entries in the column are numeric, Often the decimal separator changes depending on your localization. Spaces can also confuse things.

Post an screenshot of the values you are summing and the result so we can assist.

assuming you have some values in column A, you could sum those by placing this formula in a cell of a different column:

=sum(A)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2015 2:14 PM in response to Ewan Lamont

Ewan,

Numbers can sum columns, no problem. You do have to make sure the entries in the column are numeric, Often the decimal separator changes depending on your localization. Spaces can also confuse things.

Post an screenshot of the values you are summing and the result so we can assist.

assuming you have some values in column A, you could sum those by placing this formula in a cell of a different column:

=sum(A)

How do I add up columns in the spreadsheet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.