Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Applecare + for iPhone in foreign country

This question has been posted in the MBP thread and here - two conflicting instances but maybe one answer.

Hello -

I found conflicting information about the usability of the AppleCare/APP + Protection Plan on the community pages as well as during various calls to Apple Hotline in Europe (Germany) and the US. Some say that they used the APP in other countries, others say that this will not work, the device will have to be serviced in the country in which it was purchased.

Maybe there is a difference between APP for MBP and an aPP+ for iPhone 6?

1. I bought a MacBook for my daughter to take with her for her exchange student year in the US and an APP for it right along because I was told by the German as well as the US Apple customer support that she could use it in the US should she experience problems with it. The ONLY thing they would not be able to provide is remote software service. This information is basically what lead me to purchase the MBP with APP here instead of there.

2. I am also planning on purchasing an iPhone 6 for her, here and now, and I inquired about the APP+ and its usability for service in the US. Now I am told that the device would then have to be shipped to the country where it was been purchased.

Surely that can't be true? I thought the iPhone is for mobile people?

Can someone report on his/her experience with AppleCare Service in a country that was NOT the country in which the device was purchased?

Thank you very much.

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 2:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 2:50 PM

That is true.

The warranty, and therefore Applecare, for the iPhone has never been international.

Sorry.

The warranty for Apple computers is international.

4 replies

Jul 28, 2015 3:05 PM in response to roaminggnome

This would explain the discrepancy.

But to make sure that I understand this correctly -

my daughter would be able to go to an Apple store in the US and get help and service for her MBP with APP, both of which were purchased in Germany,

but she would not be able to go to an Apple store in the US and get help and service for her iPhone 6 with AppleCare+, if both had been purchased in Germany?

Any suggestions for what to do if something happens to the iPhone that would be covered if the iPhone were in Germany? Mail it to me (back her in Germany), and I take care from here, and then ship it back to her?

Thank you for your answers.

Jul 28, 2015 4:11 PM in response to minutes

Two additional notes:

The reason for the restriction on the iPhone is because there are different models for different geographical locations. And iPhones are not repaired; if they need service they are replaced. If you attempt to get the iPhone fixed in a location other than the area where it was purchased the store will not have the correct replacement model.

One major exception to the "country of purchase" rule is that the EU counts as one "country" for warranty and service purposes. So a phone purchased in any EU country can be serviced in any other.

Applecare + for iPhone in foreign country

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.