Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compressor must not like Reds

Editing on FCP 6.0.5, exporting to a self-contained QT movie, then Compressing in 4.2 because my version of FCP does not link up with Compressor 4 and I cannot use Compressor 3 because there is an "Unable to Submit to Queue" error message.

So far I can honestly say that Compressor falls far below my expectations to provide a good quality .m2v file of my standard def footage.

It doesn't seem to matter what Field Dominance I edit with or what Field Order I compress with.

It always seems to look blurry and in this latest case, it does not seem to like rendering the red colors very well.

Notice the 2 pictures below, the first is of the QT self-contained movie and the second is of the Compressor 4.2 file.

Since I need to author DVDs and there is no way I can use the self-contained QT file (which is obviously a much better quality) without encoding or compressing, am I truly stuck with Compressor's crappy results? Seriously Apple?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 2:53 PM

13 replies

Jul 28, 2015 5:39 PM in response to Scott Winterle1

Hey Scott,

You're pointing your finder at the wrong suspect. The Apple encoding process for MPEG2 DVD standard is OK. But the standard itself is not do hot anymore.

Don't judge your images on a computer, Judge them on your DVD player>TV. Don't mess with the field dominance,

Possible use Best setting for Resize Filter if you have the time.

Russ

Jul 29, 2015 11:33 AM in response to BenB

Thanks for the advice Ben. I took a look at all the scopes and it does not look like it will help.

I still think this is a Compressor issue. I only wish there were settings or filters I could use to correct the image.

Here are 2 more images, the first one is the QT self-contained movie file. The edges around the red costume appear normal.

The second image is after it's run through Compressor. If anybody has any knowledge of if or how this could be fixed I sure would be grateful as I know my client will not like the result and this type of thing could lead to me losing business. Again, Apple...Thanks!User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jul 29, 2015 4:04 PM in response to Scott Winterle1

OK. So what was the camera that shot the original and do you know what the format was that you imported into FCP? What were your sequence settings… did they match the original clips' properties? When you exported, did you export Current Settings? Did you use QuickTime Conversion? If you open your exported movie (the Compressor source file) in QuickTime and enter Command-i, what does the Inspector report for the file?

Just to add that spot-lit images such as you have in this performance are very challenging for cameras (notwithstanding the red issues). But whatever the quality of the original footage and the QuickTime source file, Compressor 4.2 should do at least as good a job as Compressor 3.0 when encoding to DVD stabdards.

Russ

Jul 29, 2015 8:47 PM in response to Russ H

Russ thank u for taking the time to assist and ask questions. I shot the footage using a panasonic hvx170, 720x480 squeeze mode on p2 cards. Ediing i used sequence settings native to the footage which was 3:2 anamorphic, lower field. And i used quick time conversion, NTSC anamorphic setting.

By the way, i have made the master dvds and noticed that playback in a bluray player helps minimize the red blocking. Its still noticeable but not as bad as what you can see in the attached photos above.

Jul 30, 2015 4:55 AM in response to Scott Winterle1

QT Conversion introduces an additional layer of compression.

My suggestion: create a new sequence in FCP. Copy and paste the first sequence to the second. If asked, let FCP match the sequence settings. Set in and out points in a section of your edited video that you find to be problematic. Export QuickTime Movie (not Conversion) Current Settings, Bring that file into Compressor and apply the default settings for DVD. Don't apply the Resize filter.

Post back and let us know: 1) whether it is sharper; 2) the reds are truer.

Russ

Jul 30, 2015 10:44 AM in response to Scott Winterle1

OK.

Doubtful that Resize filter is helping, It's meant for reducing artifacts that are sometimes generated when reducing the resolution º say, from HD to SD. In your case, you're not changing the resolution,

The only other thing that I can think of that might be a factor affecting your video is the way the anamorphic pixels are being handled. It's been so long since I worked with "squeeze mode" footage that I can't remember whether FCP/Compressor had problems interpreting it.

Hopefully someone else will have some good suggestions.

Russ

Compressor must not like Reds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.