Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Disney not available in Poland despite being in cable?

Hello.

I've tried to contact Disney in that matter, they redirected me to their Europe and Poland Support Center and for many days there is no answer.

Maybe Disney denied explanation because of some secret negotiations with Apple regarding possible forhcoming tv service?

Disney, Disney Junior and Disney XD are three channels that I have in Poland in my cable subscription. So if Disney is present in my country and obviously has rights to distribute its own content why I cannot have these channels on ATV even if they would need cable verification?

The same situation is for HBO Go..not present on ATV despite being in cable. Also no Eurosport Player.

Apple is very close with Disney (Disney CEO is in Apple's board ) so maybe contacting Apple could help but dont know email adress to write to 😟

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 2:04 PM

7 replies

Jul 28, 2015 9:01 PM in response to Beyo

Beyo wrote:

So if Disney is present in my country and obviously has rights to distribute its own content

That is not a valid assumption. Copyright law is absurdly complicated and thanks to DRM copyrights are now specific to a service, network, and even device. That is why they have to roll it out to specific countries one at a time. It is very slow and time consuming to work out all the details and approvals. Also you can not assume that because Disney is broad casting something that they own the rights to it. Even that is usually MUCH more complicated than you would think.

Jul 29, 2015 10:09 AM in response to Brian Cook4

I disagree with this point of view,at least to some extent. It might be true for Netflix that broadcast content from many owners, but not for Disney.

Of course, it's still to debate who should pay whom for being present on ATV - Content owner to Apple or Apple to content owner.

Anyway, I submited feature request to Apple and inquired Disney in this matter.

Maybe they don't ignore Press 😀

Jul 29, 2015 10:18 AM in response to Beyo

One thing missing from this conversation is the Cable company. Cable (and satellite) companies have exclusive agreements with content providers, often subject to geographic limitations. It very well could be the case that the cable company does not yet allow participation for those channels. I've found this to be true for several of AppleTV's offering.

And yes, as has already been discussed, Disney does not always fully own the right to the content it broadcasts, including content containing its brand. It is WAY more complex than that, even more so when international boarders are crossed.

Jul 29, 2015 12:23 PM in response to Beyo

Beyo wrote:

It might be true for Netflix that broadcast content from many owners, but not for Disney.

As already explained that is an incorrect assumption that Disney owns all the content it broadcasts. All those individual shows are owned/controlled by studio, or producers, etc. Even Disney movies are owned by separate sub corporations that have to work out legal agreements with the Disney broadcasting corp. If you really want to continue this debate feel free to contact a copyright attorney and they can explain in detail how cumbersome this is. And then as mentioned they have to negotiate new terms for each service, and or device.

Beyo wrote:

who should pay whom for being present on ATV - Content owner to Apple or Apple to content owner.

This is also wrong. There is no money from them to Apple or the other way around. You pay money to your cable provider to subscribe to Disney Channel content, and they give you access to that content (where it is allowed) on ATV for having a subscription. The only money is from you to the cable provider to Disney.

Why Disney not available in Poland despite being in cable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.