Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I set the timefor "try tonight" for updates

My Exede satalite internet service gives me "free" internet from 3:00 am to 8:00 am, so I want to download large updates then. When I see an update, it asks, as one option, "try tonight", but I want to have it do the update within those hours. Any ideas on how to control what "tonight" is?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Mid 2011, 8 gig

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 2:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 8:03 PM

According to the following article, the "Try Tonight" option on the Update notification attempts to download and install between 2am and 5am.

http://tech.coe.drexel.edu/2014/06/11/macupdates/

Hope this helps!

🙂

5 replies

Jul 28, 2015 3:04 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn

I have never tried it... What would happen if one interrupted such a download by shutting down or sleeping the Mac? Would it resume when the next opportunity presented itself? Seems it would need to be flexible enough to allow foreseen circumstances like power outs, ISP downs, Apple servers down, etc.

Any regular 'browser' download can stop and start at will.

Jul 28, 2015 3:40 PM in response to Marvin from St. Petersburg

The only thing I can imagine besides a piece of software that would run the command line softwareupdate on a schedule, you could set the prefs to not automatically download. When updates are available, set a schedule to start your Mac at 3am, shutdown at 8 am, and turn on auto-update just before shutting it down.

Another homebuilt solution may work to create a launchagent that runs at 3am to run,

softwareupdate -d -a

That will download, but not install all pending updates. You can then go into the App Store and install them. Using -i -a would install them if allowed by permissions.

If the LaunchAgent is in the main /Library/LaunchAgents and it should run with admin privileges.

I don't know if it can be run "headless" in the background, so you might have to schedule startups with auto-login enabled.

I don't have my Mac with me, so I can't write/verify that solution.

How can I set the timefor "try tonight" for updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.