Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logging into Facetime

I have just purchased Facetime from the App Store for my machine running 10.6.8. Unfortunately I can't login. It says "Incorrect Apple ID or password". If I try enough times then it tells me I have tried to many times and gives me a link to iforgot.apple.com.

I know may password is OK as I can use it to log into Facetime on another machine running OSX 10.9 and into appleid.apple.com.

I have tried changing my password and then using the new one but it made no difference.

I have tried generating an Application Specific Password and using that but it made no difference.

I have 2 factor authentication enabled.

MacBook (13-inch Late 2006), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 3:20 PM

7 replies

Aug 1, 2015 5:44 AM in response to NoahCoodin

Sadly I have no solutions as of yet. I am assuming I need to use an "Application Specific Password" because that change will have happened on the backend servers so the age of the client shouldn't matter - but that doesn't behave any different.

Looking at the network traffic I see it successfully establishes and https session with Apple but that's all I can see.

Apple don't seem to have a way to email or chat with support if you say your problem is about FaceTime and AppleID. I guess I will have to try ringing them...

Aug 1, 2015 6:51 AM in response to cqexbesd

I just spent quite a while on the phone to Apple. The support agent was very nice and tried many things but couldn't work it out either. Sadly screen sharing wouldn't work (I don't know if that's related or just a coincidence) so all he could suggest was to take it into an Apple Store. No available appointments for the next week so I don't know when I will be able to do that. If you find a solution in the mean time please post it here!

Aug 2, 2015 7:58 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for that. As I said above I have spent a while with Apple support and they were unable to work out what is wrong. Sadly they didn't seem to have access to any logs from the authentication system so they really couldn't try much more that I already had.

They did at least confirm that it should be working - though didn't personally know anyone who had it working under 10.6. Until I know it is working for somebody I fear it has been broken by some backend update but Apple don't test with 10.6 anymore.

The only thing I can think of now would be to intercept the SSL traffic and try to see if the response from the Apple servers is in some way helpful but I imagine without an understanding of the protocol it won't be so it will be a while before I get to it.

Logging into Facetime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.