Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule MAC filtering

Hi,

I have an HG532e modem/router from my ISP. I have TP Link wireless extenders throughout the house (we live in Mexico and the walls are brick and cement - they don't pass the signal well). Everything was (is) working fine. We just got a Time Capsule 2TB. It is in bridge mode and I plugged the existing TP Link wireless adapter "base station" into the WAN port on the Time Capsule and entered the same network name and password as the existing TP Link. It works fine, I turned off the wireless on the HG modem router and just use the Time Capsule wireless. All seems fine, I can print from anywhere in the house, etc. The problem is that I want to do MAC address filtering. Although we actually have a second network with a Hawking outdoor extender that we supply to the (poor) neighborhood, there are still some folks who persist in hacking into my Time Capsule/TP Link network. I would like to enable filtering to only allow my Macs and phones to use this wireless network. It seems like I would have to put the Time Capsule into router mode to even have access to Firewall settings and it sounds (from reading here) like there will be "double" problems with two routers. Also I'm wondering about some more extensive documentation especially about the Firewall settings. Any thoughts? Thanks,

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 7:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 8:32 PM

I would like to enable filtering to only allow my Macs and phones to use this wireless network.

That is not too difficult to do for most users, once they know what to do.....and it makes no difference at all whether the Time Capsule is in normal Router Mode or Bridge Mode.

You will use the Timed Access settings in AirPort Utility for this.

User uploaded file

But first, you will need the wireless MAC Address of each wireless device that you have, so that you will be able to set up "rules" to allow each device to connect to your wireless network. Any device that does not have a specific "rule" to allow it to connect will not be able to connect to the network. This is where things can get a bit tricky, but more on that later.

On each Mac computer, Open System Preferences (gear icon on the dock), then open Network. Click on WiFi on the left side of the panel and then click Advanced at the lower right of the window.

Locate the Wi-Fi Address.....it is at the bottom of the window.....and write down that number very carefully, or enter it into a spreadsheet if you prefer. The Wi-Fi Address is the MAC Address of your Mac.

When you have gathered all of the Wi-Fi Addresses for all of the Macs, you can start on gathering info about the iPhones and iPads, etc.

On each iPhone or iPad, Go to the Home Screen. Tap Settings, then tap General, then tap About and scroll down to locate the WiFi Address. Write or enter that number very carefully. The WiFi Address is the MAC Address of the iPhone, iPad, etc.

If the TP Link devices connect to the network using wireless......you will need the wireless MAC Address of each TP Link extender as well.

Post back when you have built up your list of MAC Addresses. A spreadsheet is handy for this, since you can copy/paste the MAC info when you start to build your list of "rules".

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2015 8:32 PM in response to Paul Weeks

I would like to enable filtering to only allow my Macs and phones to use this wireless network.

That is not too difficult to do for most users, once they know what to do.....and it makes no difference at all whether the Time Capsule is in normal Router Mode or Bridge Mode.

You will use the Timed Access settings in AirPort Utility for this.

User uploaded file

But first, you will need the wireless MAC Address of each wireless device that you have, so that you will be able to set up "rules" to allow each device to connect to your wireless network. Any device that does not have a specific "rule" to allow it to connect will not be able to connect to the network. This is where things can get a bit tricky, but more on that later.

On each Mac computer, Open System Preferences (gear icon on the dock), then open Network. Click on WiFi on the left side of the panel and then click Advanced at the lower right of the window.

Locate the Wi-Fi Address.....it is at the bottom of the window.....and write down that number very carefully, or enter it into a spreadsheet if you prefer. The Wi-Fi Address is the MAC Address of your Mac.

When you have gathered all of the Wi-Fi Addresses for all of the Macs, you can start on gathering info about the iPhones and iPads, etc.

On each iPhone or iPad, Go to the Home Screen. Tap Settings, then tap General, then tap About and scroll down to locate the WiFi Address. Write or enter that number very carefully. The WiFi Address is the MAC Address of the iPhone, iPad, etc.

If the TP Link devices connect to the network using wireless......you will need the wireless MAC Address of each TP Link extender as well.

Post back when you have built up your list of MAC Addresses. A spreadsheet is handy for this, since you can copy/paste the MAC info when you start to build your list of "rules".

Jul 28, 2015 9:01 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob, a question. Are there format specifications? on the Mac itself it's a0:99:9b: etc. in other words, every group of 2 characters is separated by a colon and the letters are lower case. On the TP-Links the characters are all uppercase and there are no separators. Any input? Probably it's entered like it shows on the Mac, seeing as how it's an Apple product. But I thought I'd ask.

Thanks again so much!!!

Paul

Jul 28, 2015 9:02 PM in response to Paul Weeks

Unfortunately, Apple is not known for providing details or documentation.

Other than the Setup Guide that came with the Time Capsule or the document linked below, which provides a few basics, there is not much available. The Help menu in AirPort Utility is often over looked by users though. There is some useful stuff there.

Setting up Time Capsule for the first time - Apple Support

Jul 28, 2015 9:18 PM in response to Paul Weeks

Probably it's entered like it shows on the Mac, seeing as how it's an Apple product.

Correct......and taking a quick look at things in AirPort Utility......it looks like copy/paste no longer works since the most recent Yosemite update. So, I would plan to enter the addresses in manually. That's painful.

When you start to enter the address in AirPort Utility and type in the first two characters, a colon will automatically be inserted. I would enter things in the way that the MAC Address for the device appears when you check the device.......lower case for Macs......upper case for iPhones, etc.

Jul 28, 2015 9:27 PM in response to Paul Weeks

So, you are ready to set up some "rules"? This is where things can get tricky. If things get messed up, you need to have a way back into AirPort Utility.

In other words, if Timed Access won't let your Mac connect to the network......you can't get back in to check or correct things.

So, it is very important that you use a Mac that has an Ethernet port.....so you can connect to the Time Capsule using a wired connection.....to get back into AirPort Utility if you need to.

Jul 28, 2015 9:31 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Yeah, what a shock to see that my brand new MacBook Pro has no ethernet connection. My old (sigh) 17" MacBook Pro upstairs has an ethernet port if needed.

Yeah, I'm ready to enter the MAC addresses, but it won't let me. It just beeps and doesn't enter anything. I selected Timed Access Control and the "+" sign and tried to enter an address and all I get is "beeps"... pooh!

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Paul

Jul 28, 2015 9:38 PM in response to Paul Weeks

Yeah, what a shock to see that my brand new MacBook Pro has no ethernet connection.

An Apple USB to Ethernet adapter or Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter is a really handy item to have around.

Please follow my instructions very carefully. We will go slow, until you get the hang of it.

You have the Timed Access window open now.....and it looks like the window below.....correct?

User uploaded file

Jul 28, 2015 9:43 PM in response to Paul Weeks

Yeah, I was just a little shocked that there was no ethernet port and that I would have to buy an adapter after spending what seems like a premium amount for the computer. But, whatever, they have their reasons I'm sure. The HDMI socket seems cool though. Of course I already have adapters and cables to convert to HDMI! That's how it goes sometimes.

Jul 28, 2015 9:52 PM in response to Paul Weeks

First, you have to change the default setting from "Unlimited".....which means that any wireless device that has the password for your network can connect......to No Access......which means that only the devices that you list with connection rules will be allowed to connect to the network

In the Description Box type in something like New Default, or Default Settings, whatever you want to call it

Then, change Wireless Access Times to No Access

Then, click Save

Post back when that is done.

You will have to click on Timed Access again to open the window back up.

User uploaded file

Jul 28, 2015 10:03 PM in response to Paul Weeks

OK, you should be back to the window that appears just above.

Click on the small + (plus) button under the top setting of Wireless Clients....and the next window will look like this:

User uploaded file

For Description.......Type in a device name.....like MacBook Pro for example

For MAC Address.......Enter in the WiFi Address that you have for that device

I assume that you want the MacBook Pro to have access Everyday.......All Day. If you want to limit the times that the Mac can connect.......change All Day......to Between.......and edit the hours that you want the device to be able to connect.

For now, it will be much easier if you simply set up each device to have Access Times of Everyday......All Day......but you can come back later if you want to make any changes to any device.

Click Save and post back when that is done.

Time Capsule MAC filtering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.