Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I import an existing library into iTunes 12?

I am incredibly frustrated. Software that should be simple.... Which has been simple in the past, no longer is--Dragging and dropping a folder is pretty simple, but iTunes 12 does NOT support that. Change just for change's sake is not a good thing.

My question is, how do I import a previous library into a clean install of iTunes 12? (One cannot drag and drop folders.... And my library is big enough, I don't have time to do individual files.)

Barring that, where can I find an install file for iTunes 11?

I will rant on my dislike of this software--for those of you asking, I have files in my library that can only be accessed with iTunes. I don't want to pay for them twice, so I am stuck. Quite frankly it is the best trolling device Apple came up with. Grrr.... Sorry, I am trying to control the rant, but it is awfully hard.

iTunes 12-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 4:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 5:13 PM

Restore a backup of your previous iTunes library, or see How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support.

If you only have the media files/folders from your previous library (i.e., no iTunes Library.itl file) then you can still add content in one of three ways:

• File > Add Folder to Library ... (press Ctrl-B to enable the menu bar if you don't see the File menu)
  • Copy files/folders to the Automatically Add to iTunes folder - if iTunes is running it will add the media to your library immediately, otherwise this will happen the next time you run it
  • Drag and drop from Windows Explorer to iTunes (which does work in 12.2, no different from previous versions), where the current view in iTunes is either your complete library or a regular playlist (drag and drop will not work if the current view is of a Smart Playlist or of a Playlist Folder)

In the third case your cursor should change to this:
User uploaded file

if you've configured iTunes to copy new files to the iTunes Media folders, otherwise it'll be this:

User uploaded file

where iTunes will add media to your library using the current file/folder locations.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2015 5:13 PM in response to Fizwalker

Restore a backup of your previous iTunes library, or see How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support.

If you only have the media files/folders from your previous library (i.e., no iTunes Library.itl file) then you can still add content in one of three ways:

• File > Add Folder to Library ... (press Ctrl-B to enable the menu bar if you don't see the File menu)
  • Copy files/folders to the Automatically Add to iTunes folder - if iTunes is running it will add the media to your library immediately, otherwise this will happen the next time you run it
  • Drag and drop from Windows Explorer to iTunes (which does work in 12.2, no different from previous versions), where the current view in iTunes is either your complete library or a regular playlist (drag and drop will not work if the current view is of a Smart Playlist or of a Playlist Folder)

In the third case your cursor should change to this:
User uploaded file

if you've configured iTunes to copy new files to the iTunes Media folders, otherwise it'll be this:

User uploaded file

where iTunes will add media to your library using the current file/folder locations.

How do I import an existing library into iTunes 12?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.